Kirkcaldy High School

Respect for Self, Others, and Learning

Rector’s Log 30/06/22

Dear Parent/Carer

Welcome to the last ever “Log” from me. With the end of term now with us, that’s me effectively stepping down. I expect that Mr McKay, the interim Rector, might want to communicate before the start of the new session. Very best wishes to him in this role. I’m sure that he will be made very welcome by the KHS community.

This week has been surprisingly busy for the last week of term. On Monday and Tuesday, we had our Duke of Edinburgh Award pupils out in the Lomond Hills for their expedition. Many thanks to Miss Wallace and Mr Sanderson, who support our group so well.

On Tuesday afternoon, it was my pleasure to attend the Capshard leavers’ Show along with Head Boy Harry Turner, Depute Head Girl Eilidh Drummond and new S2 pupils Madison Fraser and Logan Thomson. Madison and Logan presented the Gregor Smith Awards at Capshard, named in memory of our former pupil who died of meningitis in 2013.

We’ve also recently had Exxon Mobil working with our Higher Chemistry class to give learners a taste of what an engineering role at Fife Ethylene Plant might involve. The students used their chemistry knowledge to troubleshoot a plant operational issue and discussed STEM careers. Exxon were in again this week to work with our S3 Laboratory Science class. They provided an excellent insight into lab safety. Our students learned how to complete a risk assessment before carrying out a several experiments. On Tuesday, SCDI’s Young Engineers and Science Club delivered an Energy Quest workshop to all S3 Physics classes. Our students were able to put themselves in the shoes of engineers to design a solution to power a mobile phone. They found out about sustainable energy and associated engineering careers. I am grateful to Miss Tennant (PT STEM), who set up these events.

Some time ago we were asked to nominate KHS staff to attend the 2020 Royal garden Party in recognition of our winning the Kingdom FM “Best School” Award in 2019. This was arranged by the Lord Lieutenant of Fife. Nine members of staff; teaching, support, kitchen and cleaners, received invites. Then Covid happened and the party was cancelled for two years. It has now been reinstated for this summer, with a reduced attendance and it took place yesterday in Edinburgh. KHS was represented by Mrs Docherty (Languages), Dr Murray (Chemistry), Mrs Wood (PSO) and Ms Young (Modern Studies). I’m told that it was a great day out. The others we nominated are on the list for next summer.

Yesterday afternoon it was treat to host a gig by the Shambolics. The band, which includes formed former pupils Darren Forbes and Scott Williamson, put on a brilliant show in support of Kirkcaldy Foodbank. We had a cash collection on the day, but if you would like to chip in, you can do that on “GoFundMe”.

Today we’ve had a Dress Down Day in support of six good causes; The Yard, Shelter Scotland, Diabetes UK, DAPL, Oliver’s Army Therapy Dogs and the Curly Star Foundation. These were the runners-up in our recent Youth and Philanthropy competition. Fife Women’s Aid were the winners and we donated £3000, sponsored by the Wood Group. We’ve also had our traditional end of term talent show, organised by the Prefect Team. This was an excellent show. Congratulations to all who took part.

Congratulations to all our new House Captains, and many thanks to Miss Lipton (Business) who organised the selection process. Following successful interviews last week, we are delighted to announce our new house leadership teams are as follows: Adam Smith Captains: Rachael Westwater and Mitchell Carstairs, Vice Captains: Lilly Koczoova and Dylan Fleming. Carlyle Captains: Fallon Burke and Amy Whitehill, Vice Captains: Lucy Moreira and Kate Francis. Oswald Captains: Olivia Etherington and Matthew Johnston. Vice Captains: Elanor Ali and Millie Cowie.

I see that the “back to school” range is already in the supermarkets! Please be aware that we like to keep it fairly simple and we expect a KHS tie, available from our Office at cost price, white shirt and plain black trousers or skirt and shoes. Blazers are available at BE Uniforms, 36 High Street or online from Stevensons.

The KHS dress code is important because it connects our learners to our school and to each other, it looks smart and is a preparation for the workplace. Also, it’s cheaper than the type of designer gear kids would want to wear and it reduces any stigma for those who just can’t afford fancy labels. We’ll be happy to help out any family to buy appropriate school gear.

I can share some really good news about the astro-turf pitch. It is being completely replaced over the summer and this will be a real enhancement of our sports facilities. I’m very grateful to Fife Council for committing a considerable sum to this project. Our astro is very well used, including by the community at weekends.

I gave a full staffing update last week and can now update the update! Miss Paula Cobban, who joins us in the English Department has now been successful at interview for our Principal Teacher vacancy, which arises as a result of Miss Thorburn’s promotion. She heads off to Livingston in September.

Best wishes also to those moving on from KHS to new challenges over the summer; Miss Burbank (Latin), Mr Fricker (Maths), Miss Kelsey (English), Miss Cation (English) and Miss Keeble (Supported Learning).

Very best wishes too to those taking retirement at the break. The teachers in this category include Mr Douglas (English), Mrs Collie (Art), Mr Duncan (Music), Mr Spence (Maths), Miss Roberts (Home Economics) who will be back for a couple of weeks in August and of course, my long time buddy, Mr English in PE.

And of course, I’m hanging up my boots now too. May I take this opportunity to thank you for your support and encouragement over the past thirteen and a half years. Also, thank you for all the “best of luck” messages. I’ve been very touched. It’s been a blast for me, and I know that I will miss the school. But nothing lasts forever, and it feels right to shake things up a bit … for me and for the school.

I also have to thank my colleagues and dear friends here at KHS. How such fantastic group of human beings ever managed to come together to be a school like this beats me … that’s the cleaners, teachers, jannies, technicians, pupil support workers, the office team, kitchen staff and Mike the lollipop man. The Depute Team and Andy the Business Manager will be friends for life, I’m sure. They have been especially good to me, and knowing that we could always count on each other has been the basis of any successes our school has had, especially during the dark times we’ve had to thole together over the past couple of years. It’s been my privilege to spend my days with every one of the staff members here … and with your bairns too of course, our precious raw material. They are so special, and I’ll be finding out how well they are doing in the years ahead I’m sure.

You take care too. I’m wishing you well.

Aye yours.

Derek (formerly known as Mr Allan)
Rector (for a wee while yet)
30 June 2022