Kirkcaldy High School

Respect for Self, Others, and Learning

Rector’s Log 25/02/22

Dear Parent/Carer

As always, I hope this “Log” finds you well.

On a personal note, many thanks for the lovely replies and best wishes which I have received in response to the news of my retirement at the summer. Your kindness is greatly appreciated. On that front, I can share that the Headteacher’s post is now being advertised by Fife Council with a two stage interview process planned, and an appointment expected by the end of April. Our Parent Council will be involved in the process of selecting the new Rector of KHS.

I’m sure you are aware that we appreciate all of the pressures faced by our young people, especially over the last couple of years, and the impact on everyone’s mental health. Many thanks to Miss Osborne, Miss Hay, Mrs Kerek and all the other staff and young people who are taking a lead on this. Miss Osborne has prepared a questionnaire for parents and carers, and I would be very grateful if you could give us some feedback. We are keen to involve parent/carer views in our planning and would appreciate your input by the end of next week if possible. Many thanks.

Mr Harrower has asked me to advise those who have expressed an interest in our “Battlefields” trip next year to expect a message early next week to explain how this is progressing. As you will be aware, we have had a huge level of interest and the trip is oversubscribed several times over. I understand that the plan is to take a group of current S2 pupils next spring and make an alternative plan for the current S1. It’s great that we have such a high level of interest and a shame that we can’t take everybody.

Last week we had a terrific session with the “Lift Off” project in school. This involves young people working with Dundee and Abertay Universities to increase their awareness of opportunities in Higher Education. Then, on that same theme, on Tuesday this week, we had a large group of S1 and S2 pupils away at St Andrews University for the day as part of the “First Chances” programme. The organiser of both these excellent engagements was Ms Nessel (Head of Business and Computing) and I am immensely grateful to her for her commitment to giving working class kids the chance to experience university life.

On Wednesday afternoon, it was a pleasure for Mr Young (S1/2 Yearhead) and I to have a chat with S1 girls Esme Cunningham and Evie Robertson about their recent success in the All England Ballroom Dancing Championships at the Tower Ballroom, Blackpool. The girls did exceptionally well and had multiple top placings, including making the finals in the Cha-Cha-Cha, Samba and Boston Two Step. We were particularly impressed by the impromptu dance demo laid on by the girls in my Office! Please do keep us informed if your son or daughter is involved in out of school achievements … we just love to recognise success. We’ll be doing another roundup video in due course.

Next week sees a change in the Covid guidelines for schools which means that face coverings are no longer compulsory in classrooms. Of course, this does not mean that all is back to normal. Any young person who wishes to wear a mask is very welcome. Also, these are still required when moving around the building and in communal indoor areas. We still ask that frequent Covid testing be done at home, and we will still be keeping windows in classrooms open and using CO2 monitoring to check on ventilation. For now, we are allowing outdoor gear to be worn in class. We expect that this position will remain until the Easter break before we return to our usual school uniform rules.

The other major change is that assemblies are now permitted once again. We’ll have House Assemblies next week, starting with Adam Smith House on Tuesday morning. It’ll be good to restart this type of important engagement. It’s vital for our ethos that we can share messages and address whole school issues together. We’ll have Yeargroup or House Assemblies almost right up until the SQA exams, which start on 26 April.

Also next week, we’ll have the S5/6 Reports sent home and will include course choice information. Please be aware that we can’t guarantee that all courses being offered will run. It all depends on uptake and staffing availability. For S4, tracking reports will be issued at the start of next week too and please note that course choice sheets for next session (Senior Phase) should be returned by Monday 7 March. Thanks.

On Tuesday, we’ll have a group of Senior Phase students attending Redford Barracks for teamwork and problem solving sessions. I’m very grateful to Jayne Preece (Pupil Support Officer) who is taking a lead on this. Jayne contributes so much in the way of support for young people to find a positive destination on leaving school. To help with this, we used to send out the “Employability Bulletin” as a PDF. We have had a rethink and now have a specific mini-website or “Padlet” for that purpose. Our new Employability Coordinators, Mr Crawford and Ms Whyte are beginning to re-establish some of our job market links now that the impact of Covid is declining. I’m grateful to Ms Whyte for her work on the “Padlet”. Please check out the link:

Next Wednesday we’ll be offering Diphtheria, Typhoid, Polio and Meningitis vaccinations to S3, thanks to the KHS Fife nurse team. Thursday evening is our S4nParent/Carer Evening, which is being held online. Please be in touch if you are having any problems making appointments.

The N5 and Higher Music Practical exams take place on Thurs and Friday 10/11 March. The Music Department will be open to all SQA music students after school on Monday and Tuesday for the next two weeks as well as lunch times to allow for extra practice. Mrs Simpson will be there for support and performance rehearsal so please seize this opportunity.

Please be touch if there is any assistance you need in respect of your son or daughter’s education. However, I should say that staff absence and workload issues will sometimes mean that we can’t get back to you right away. For example, all of our Guidance Teachers have a significant teaching timetable and responsibility for around 240 young people. Please be assured that we’ll do all we can to give support. Thank you.

Take care

Derek Allan
RECTOR
25 February 2022