Kirkcaldy High School

Respect for Self, Others, and Learning

Rector’s Log 22/12/21

Dear Parent/Carer

Welcome to the final Rector’s Log of 2021. It is an end of year message put together in unusual circumstances. As you will likely be aware, I was signed off work unwell two weeks ago. I’m pleased to say that I think I am starting to feel better and I am quite confident that I will be back at work in January. In fact, I am more confident of that than I am about the general status of our schools in the new term. The uncertainty around a changing Covid situation and the rise of the Omicron variant is worrying.

Please be assured that, as always, all at KHS will do whatever we can to make the best of any situation. My biggest concern is that case numbers and isolation rules might mean that continuous “face to face” learning is not viable after the break. I hope I am wrong in this, and I have no “insider knowledge”, but these days we all need to be prepared for any eventuality. The recent letter from Carrie Lindsay (Fife’s Executive Director of Education and Children’s Services) made it clear that “remote learning” might be, in some situations, the only viable way to keep our service going. However, at this time, we are still planning to go with our Prelim exams for S4-6 from Monday 17 January.

To help us cope with some of the staffing pressures expected in the new term, I am delighted to report that we will be joined by several new teachers. I mentioned previously that we have been looking to recruit, and it will be a pleasure to welcome Mr Michael Geissler to the Maths Department right after the break. Then, in the middle of January, Mrs Michelle Geissler will also become part of of the Design and Technology team here. You guessed it, Michael and Michelle are a married couple. I’m also pleased to report that we have secured the services of Mr Lewis Campbell in Social Subjects. Finally, in Supported Learning we will be joined by Mr Ryan Mooney in the new year too. I am hoping that this new staff intake will help us through the difficult months ahead and beyond.

I must thank all of the staff, and all the young people, who have continued to plug away in such difficult circumstances during this last couple of weeks, focussing on providing as near normal an experience as possible. I can’t cover everything, but we’ve had a virtual Christmas Concert, put together by our Music staff; Mrs Simpson, Mrs Duckett and Mr Duncan. This was shown to pupils by video link during class time this week. Today, the kids will get to judge the traditional staff “X Factor” … an online “talent” show which is always great fun. I’m sorry it can’t be the usual live format, and on a personal level, I’m sorry I’m missing all the end of term fun.

Thanks to everyone who supported the FoKHS Virtual Raffle. Several of the staff and wider “friends” community claimed prizes and couple of parents were prizewinners too – well done Heather Burza (parent of Euan Hutt, S1) and Robin White (parent of Jack and Ben White, S1). We think around £1200 was raised in total. This will go to support our work in 2022. Big thanks to Mrs Davidson for all her work in organising this.

Our Pupil Support Officers have been out distributing gift vouchers we received through a link with Barnardo’s Scotland. Thanks to Mrs Preece and Mrs Hardie who are dropping these off to selected families today. In total Barnardo’s donated vouchers for ASDA, Aldi and High Street stores to the value of £600. We are immensely grateful for their support.

We’ve managed several other end of term activities too, including a Chistmas tree decoration sale by the KHS Craft Club, run by Ms Czudek (Design Technology) and a Craft Fair laid on at the YM in the Valley by Ms Patton’s Supported Learning pupils. Mrs Wood (Pupil Support Officer) has also organised our memorial Christmas tree at reception once again. This is a lovely way to remember loved ones at this time and today is a Dress Down Day in support of Kirkcaldy Foodbank. Thanks for your support with that. We also have a food donation collection (from staff) which is being collected today.

Looking back, and apologies that this news is now a bit out of date due to my absence of school, on Tuesday 7 December, we held a meeting of the KHS Parent Council. I am really grateful to Chair Victoria Stokoe, who was an excellent online host and also to Laura Frew, who produced the attached minute. In my absence, Mr Young gave the Headteacher input and it was really useful that we were joined by local Councillors David Ross and Neil Crooks, who actively contributed to our discussions on Covid restrictions, staffing pressures etc.

As always, at this time of year, we have a number of young people who are leaving KHS to move on to new things. Best wishes to all of them and well done to those who have achieved a positive destination (eg a job, training or college place), supported by our hard working Guidance Team, Skills Development Scotland and our other dedicated staff.

I hope you don’t mind, but I really must give a wee, but very special, “shout out” to the school management team, who have kept KHS running so smoothly in my absence. Mr Young has taken on a lead role so very well and been superbly supported by Mrs Davidson, Miss Diamond and Mrs Hamilton. Mr Reekie (Business Manager) has, as always, been an unsung hero throughout this whole pandemic crisis. He has overseen all our risk management processes and controls. In turn, the Principal Teachers, the teaching and pupil support staff and everyone involved with KHS has been magnificent in 2021. This includes Lorraine Lister and the jannies, Alan Samson and the Technicians, the cleaners who have really stepped up to keep us all as safe as possible and the catering staff. Very best wishes to Arlene Guyan, our Kitchen Supervisor, who is taking retirement at Christmas. Thanks for all your excellent years of service to KHS Arlene. I understand that Mr Young made a presentation in the dinner hall yesterday and kids gave Arlene three very well deserved cheers.

And I think it’s only right that, as this year draws to a close, I offer my gratitude to you too. First off, thanks for all the lovely responses to Mrs Hamilton’s “Praise and Recognition” email she sent out this week. We had asked the staff for the names of the kids who were trying their very best at all times and making good progress in learning despite all the barriers. It seems that this has gone down very well. We’ll do the same again later in the session. Sometimes it’s nice to put the spotlight on the young people who just get on with it.

In wider terms, thanks too for working so well with the school, understanding what we are trying to achieve collectively and being such an important part of “Team KHS”. This has been another very challenging year. I don’t want to resort to cliches and hyperbole, but it truly has been a year like no other. We’ve done very well despite all the obstacles and all the setbacks, and that’s down to teamwork. I really do hope that 2022 can be less eventful for us all. We deserve that.

And finally …. I think I have saved the sweetest of news until last. This week, we were all delighted to learn that Miss McFall (Biology) had given birth to a beautiful baby daughter called Piper. Best wishes to wee Piper and her mum.

And best wishes to you of course. Please have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. We will be in touch if there is any news about any possible changes to the school situation from January. Take care.

Yours

Derek Allan
RECTOR
22 December 2021