Kirkcaldy High School

Respect for Self, Others, and Learning

Rector’s Log 30/04/21

Dear Parent/Carer

Welcome to the usual email update or “Rector’s Log”. I hope you are well and looking forward to the weekend. We’ve had a good week past with lots going on in terms of positive learning experiences in the classroom, and out and about in the grounds. This is despite the poorer weather this week.

I would like to share a wee bit about uniform and dress code expectations. Firstly, please be reminded that our PE changing facilities are all fully available. For that reason, it is not necessary for pupils to come to school in PE kit, trackie bottoms etc. We understand that some young people have maybe told their parents/carers that this is “allowed”. It’s not.

Our normal dress code applies. We expect plain black footwear, trousers or skirt, a white shirt and school tie with the option of wearing a KHS blazer, which we strongly encourage. Because we are opening windows to increase ventilation as a Covid mitigation, there will be times when classes are draughtier or colder than usual. At these times, teachers will display a standard sign in class to signal that outdoor gear may be worn. Otherwise, jackets, hoodies etc are not permitted … blazers are fine.

I have to say that we have had a specific issue with the trend for particularly short miniskirts right now. It’s funny how fashions change so quickly. A couple of years ago, skirts were seldom worn at all. We tended to have some concerns around very thin “see-through” leggings being worn. This summer it’s skirts. I would appreciate your support in ensuring that your daughter comes to school in a skirt which is a reasonable length and isn’t too short. I appreciate that this is a difficult issue to resolve but I’m sure you will understand the concern.

A final note on this. Please be aware that we will always help out (including giving financial support) if you are finding it difficult to provide uniform, PE kit or any appropriate clothing. Please contact Guidance in the first instance.

I mentioned last week that we are planning to hold a summer fun event for our S1 pupils. As I explained, they have been especially badly affected by events over the past 15 months or so. We are calling this our “Picnic in the Park” and it will take place (provisionally) on the afternoon of Wednesday 19 May. I am very grateful to Mrs Duckett (Music) who has taken on the role of event organiser. We hope it will be a wee boost for our new intake and that being outside it will allow for “free” communication and socialising … certainly much more free that in the school building under the Covid restrictions. I say that the date is provisional and this is due to two factors. The first of these is the weather, and we will postpone if that’s a problem. Secondly, we are hoping/expecting that “Level 2” rules will apply by then, allowing this to go ahead.

I am hopeful that this will be ok, but I have just come out of a meeting where concerns were raised by Education Heads of Service about Fife’s volatile infection rate and “precarious” current position. Apparently, nine of the Fife secondaries have had cases, and that includes KHS, where we have had two cases resulting in a good number of young people having to self-isolate. We must be aware that face coverings, hygiene, fresh air and testing remain vital. Please remind your son/daughter to take a test on Sunday. We are working on a way to distribute enough kits to continue testing twice weekly until the summer holidays. This will be set up by the end of next week.

I’m glad that the tracking report sent home last week to the parents and carers of S4-6 was well received. Please be reminded that these grades are indicators not predictions. Pupils will still need to prove that they have met the standards required. They now need to either prove the grade, or improve the grade. The provisional grades are not sent to the SQA until the last week of term so there is a good chance to improve. We’ll share these grades in another tracking report then.

Please find attached a copy of our study support timetable over the coming weeks. It shows when staff are available to provide extra help and advice at lunchtimes or after hours. I’m grateful to all the teachers who are giving up their time like this and I hope that our young people appreciate and take up the offer. Our other attachment is our jobs update, which will be of particular interest to those moving on in the summer, many thanks to Mr Paterson for his help with this.

In the meantime, all of our SQA candidates will need to be working, studying, revising, learning and practicing past papers as best they can. I appreciate that pressure will be felt. It’s not quite the same as the one-off exams, but the workload will not feel any less I’m afraid. I wish it could be different, but this is the way it has been set up by the SQA. Good luck to all our candidates and many thanks to all the teachers, who are under considerable workload pressures too, setting, marking and moderating assessments.

Mrs Davidson and Mr Broadway are particularly busy, organising our “assessment arrangements” for the young people who have an additional need. This is an especially difficult task as the numbers of assessments is greater than in a “normal” year and the timings, locations etc are so varied and complex. Each young person affected, and their family, should receive a confirmation letter soon.

Finally on SQA matters, we are holding a special parent/carer evening next Wednesday 5 May at 6pm. It’s for those of you with kids in S4-6 and we will talk through the “Alternative Certification Model”, allowing you to ask any questions you may have. Mrs Davidson and myself will be joined by subject heads to keep you “in the loop”. The meeting will be held online on “Zoom”.  If you would like the joining details please contact us.

See you, on screen, then.

To close, I can share another wee bit of staffing news. Congratulations to Yvonne Nessel, who is confirmed as the Principal Teacher of Business and Computing on a permanent basis. Miss Nessel has been leading the team on an acting basis since the retirement of Mrs Nelson last summer. We had interviews at the start of the week, and I am delighted that Miss Nessel has been appointed to this important position.

As you know, Monday is the public holiday and next Thursday is a staff training day to coincide with the elections. Have a good long weekend, take care.

Derek Allan
RECTOR
30 April 2021