Kirkcaldy High School

Respect for Self, Others, and Learning

Rector’s Log 20/1/17

Dear Parent/Carer

I hope you are well and have had a happy week. Welcome to our latest update.

Last week I mentioned our trip to England for Premier League football; Burnley versus Southampton at Turf Moor and Manchester United at home to Liverpool on the Sunday. I’m pleased to say that this was a terrific success. Well done to all of the 48 young people who travelled – they were excellent ambassadors for the school and Mr I’Anson, who organised the trip, tells me that he was very proud of their “perfect” attitude and behaviour at all times.

As I also mentioned last week, we are having a particular focus on “Respect for Self” over this term and had a special presentation for all pupils at the start of the week. We emphasised what it means to have self-respect and we’ll continue to talk up ambition, honesty and resilience as worthwhile personal values, both for school and for life.

On Tuesday evening, Mrs Aitken and I were joined by S1 and S6 pupils as we delivered our primary transition “Roadshow” in Valley and Fair Isle Primary Schools. Potential entrants from outwith our catchment are welcome to join us at any of the events. Please spread the word that “placing request” letters need to be submitted soon. Tuesday’s events went very well, with lots of questions and a good turnout. We also distributed print copies of our latest Prospectus or School Handbook – you can also check it out on our website.

On Wednesday we hosted the Disability Sport Fife Football League once again and in the afternoon we had a special talk for S5 students interested in a Modern Apprenticeship in the financial services industry. We hosted people from the Ernst and Young “Smart Futures” programme and I know that those in attendance got a lot from it.

Yesterday was a real fun day, when hundreds of early primary pupils from Fair Isle, North, Pathhead and Valley came to KHS for a science roadshow organised by Heriot-Watt University. Our own S6 STEM advisors did the “teaching” and it was a brilliant day of active and great fun learning. In the afternoon we had an English Department trip to the King’s Theatre in Glasgow to see a production of “The Woman in Black” and a “Friends of Kirkcaldy High School” meeting in our boardroom. As ever, many thanks to all “Friends” for your ongoing support; both financial and terms of time given mentoring, driving the minibus etc.

Tomorrow’s SQA “Saturday School” is for students of National 5, Higher or Advanced Higher Music or Art and Design and this runs from 9.45am until 1.45pm. Next Saturday we have Mathematics. I must thank all the participating staff for their involvement in this valuable programme – it really can make such a difference.

Next week’s assemblies are on the theme of Holocaust Remembrance and are led by Ashley Davidson and Josh Binnington, who visited Auschwitz as part of an educational programme at the end of last year. We have additional inputs from the Teenage Cancer Trust, with S2 on Tuesday, and the Sutton Trust on Friday. The Trust supports working class young people to gain university entry and organises special “summer schools”. The talk is aimed at S5.

Tuesday is particularly busy with Matthew Fitt, the well-known author in Scots visiting the school. There’s a jobs talk about occupational therapy in the Boardroom at lunchtime and in the afternoon, we welcome “Bright Green Hydrogen”, who will be doing some work on renewable energy with all S1 girls. After school, we are hosting CPR life saving training for a group of staff and in the evening, Mrs Aitken and I will be joined by pupils to deliver our transition roadshow in Torbain (5.30pm) and Capshard (6.45pm).

Our annual Burns Supper has been rescheduled and now takes place at lunchtime next Wednesday (25 January) – the meal will be prepared and served by pupils and, as you would expect, there is poetry and song. Thanks to Dr Murray, our organiser.

I also enclose, as usual, our employability round up with local job opportunities. I hope that this helps you and your son or daughter have a wee bit of a wider view of possible “destinations” after school. We also have an important upcoming event with our own “Employment Fair”, which takes place during the day and on the evening of Monday 13 February. Parents and carers of S2-6 should receive a letter from their son/daughter – it is being issued at the start of next week. I attach an electronic version for your information.

Before the Employment Fair, we’ll have another jobs related event when Shirley-Anne Somerville MSP, who is the Scottish Government’s Minister for Higher Education and Science, visits the school (on Tuesday 31 January). The Minister is keen to hear from girls about their attitude to Science and Engineering. She is aware that KHS has a strong track record in these fields and is consulting on what it will take to close the “gender gap” in what is traditionally seen across the western world as a male oriented job market.

I’ve also attached an electronic version of a letter which is going out to parents and carers of S1 at the start of next week. On Tuesday 31 March at 6.30pm, our English Department will hold a special literacy focus evening for parents and carers. Please come along to find out how you can help your child’s reading, writing and talking as well as help them to develop a “Growth Mindset” about learning.

The hot dish menu for the week ahead is; Monday: Spaghetti Bolognese with garlic bread. Tuesday: Chicken fajitas. Wednesday: Macaroni cheese with chips or garlic bread, Thursday: Steak pie and potatoes. Friday: Fish and chips. We also have our pizza, pasta, sandwich, soup and salad options too.

On a final note, please give your son/daughter coinage as lunch money whenever this is possible. You’ll be aware that the “Myfife” top-up machines often have difficulty reading notes and I am informed that they do not accept the new (plastic) style of £5 notes. Fife Council is addressing the problem and I understand that a new set up is being introduced in the near future. Please stand by for further information soon.

As always, if there is any enquiry you have, please do be in touch. Your son or daughter’s guidance teacher is the first point of contact in most cases.

Best wishes

Derek Allan

RECTOR

20 January 2017