Kirkcaldy High School

Respect for Self, Others, and Learning

Rector’s Log 29/6/17

Dear Parent/Carer

I do hope that you are well and I further hope that you have a pleasant summer holiday. Welcome to our last update of Session 2016-2017. Many thanks for your support over the past year. It’s been a very successful one for KHS, and I am so proud of all the brilliant things which our young people have achieved. It’s a credit to the wider staff team here; an incredible bunch of dedicated, talented and hard working professionals … I salute them all.

In the last “log”, I mentioned the rather unusual engagement I had last weekend, having been invited to be the guest speaker at the AGM of the Fife branch of the St Vincent de Paul charity. I gave an illustrated talk about the impact which child poverty has on learning at the event held at Dysart Carmelite Convent. This was a very worthwhile engagement, engaging as many people and organisations as possible in “closing the gap”.

On Monday we held special assemblies for all yeargroups on water safety (reservoirs, ponds, rivers etc.). These were led by Jo Wibberley of the RNLI Kinghorn Lifeboat, David Kay of Fife Fire and Rescue, Katie Blackwell of Police Scotland and Gillian Barclay, who lost her son Cameron in a drowning accident at Inverkeithing Quarry in 2014. It was emotional and difficult at times, but a very important message, which was well delivered and received.

On Tuesday morning we held another special assembly to reward the winning team in the recent “Rapid Response” Challenge. This was a full day outdoor learning event held last month and around 40 teams or so took part in a series of disaster themed challenges, including first aid, using morse code and semaphore, making water pumps and building shelters.

Yesterday afternoon was the “Big Event”. It was our annual end of session celebration and was open to all pupils, with giant inflatables, the “Cool Creatures” mobile zoo … with the baby meerkats proving especially popular, a graffiti art workshop, nail bar, ice cream (supported by ASDA), face painting etc. We also had a prize draw with numerous prizes – including a bike. The draw was open to all those who have had good attendance, punctuality, behaviour and timekeeping all year. Congratulations to all our winners, especially Kobe Anderson (S3) winner of the star prize, sponsored by “Spokes” Cycles. Many thanks to Mrs Davidson and the staff group who collaborated to pull it all together.

The session closes today with buses around 12.15pm. The canteen is serving a restricted menu. We’re having a “Dress Down” day with donations going to support the families affected by the Grenfell Tower fire; a cause chosen by our new charities committee. It’s also our annual Talent Show this morning, and it’s always a great way to close for the summer vacation.

Next Wednesday, 5 July, our Prince’s Trust Club XL group will enjoy a fabulous day out at Wimbledon. Earlier this month they competed in the Club XL Tennis Tournament and qualified, along with Viewforth High School, for the day trip to London. They will fly south, all expenses paid, and may well have the chance to meet the stars of the tennis circuit. Very well done to Conner Buchanan, James Frew, Alana Harper and Jamie Sapcote.

I would remind you in advance of any purchases of new school uniform that leggings, jogging pants etc. are not acceptable school wear and that we also expect black footwear to be worn to school. White or coloured trainers are sportswear and therefore not suitable for class. School ties are available from the office at only £3. I understand that they are £5 in the High Street. I’d also remind you that embroidered blazer badges can be purchased from school or should you prefer to buy a blazer with an embroidered badge, these are only £31.50 from www.academyuniformsltd.co.uk. Just click on the “Secondary Schools” tab. You’ll see the KHS Badge and take it from there.

The SQA exam certificates come out on Tuesday 8 August and course changes required as a result of the results will be dealt with by the Guidance team in school on the afternoon (1.30pm – 2.30pm) of Monday 14 August.

School resumes for all our young people on Wednesday 16 August. Please expect a letter (on paper) during the summer break. The Dunnikier Scouts will deliver it along with our latest newsletter in the middle of July. It saves a fair amount on postage and we’ll be making a donation to an excellent community group.

Finally, please find attached a copy of our recent Prizegiving Programme. It contains all the names of our winners. Thanks again to everyone who made the event such a big success.

Thanks again also for your backing and interest in our school. As I say, I hope you have a very pleasant summer break. Signing off with the very best wishes …

Derek Allan
RECTOR

29 June 2017