Kirkcaldy High School

Respect for Self, Others, and Learning

Rector’s Log 20/01/23

Welcome to this weeks Rector’s Log, I hope you and your family are well.

The week that’s been…

Prelim examinations continued this week for our young people in S4-6. Mrs Davidson has been very impressed with everyone’s application and effort through this week. Young people have given their best and we are proud of them for their efforts.

Young people in S1-3 have been more settled this week and are continuing on with their planned learning in school. I have been really impressed at the hard work and effort our young people are showing in class and with their learning this week.

As you may be aware, I meet with 5 young people most days for 5-10 minutes to discuss a variety of issues related to their experience here at KHS. In term 1, we discussed what was good about KHS and what young people felt could be improved. We also focussed on the support in place within KHS and if young people knew who they could speak to if they needed. In term 2, we discussed our school values and how those relate to our day-to-day actions. We also chatted about the Curriculum offer and supports for young people to make their course choices. This term we are focussing on learning and teaching. I am grateful to our young people for their open and honest discussion and hope that those who have been involved feel valued. This is their school, and their voice is important to how we continue our improvement journey!

Friends of Kirkcaldy High (FoKHS) have asked me to share some information about the upcoming FoKHS Ceilidh:

We are delighted to announce that our very popular Friends of Kirkcaldy High School Ceilidh is back!! Following a recent successful race night, FoKHS have committed to supporting a school trip, new Xmas decorations and are now hoping to purchase additional outdoor seating for pupils. Something to look forward!

Friends Of Kirkcaldy High School Ceilidh
Date – Fri 3 March, 2023, 7pm-10.30pm
Venue – Assembly Hall, Kirkcaldy High School
Tickets – £15 per head (includes fish supper)

A raffle letter is attached to the groupcall e-mail, if you know anyone or a local business who might donate a prize? Please share with friends, family and your local community – tickets sell fast so please contact me asap to reserve a table!! We look forward to seeing you there!

As ever, Mrs Whyte has asked me to share the following about DYW:

This is now the time of year when employers start to look for apprentices/ employees. Recent feedback from employers have said that alongside qualifications they are looking for “A person that is willing to learn and go that extra mile. Someone who has an interest and cares about the work they do.” Could that be you?

Apprenticeships and job adverts are being added to the Padlet all the time including currently Diageo, Babcock, EDF and Lloyds Banking Group.

Lastly, attached to the groupcall e-mail is updated key information for parents / carers and our Positive Relationships policy (pupil version). I hope this provides clarity around some of our processes and provides you with key information about contacting school.

The week ahead…

Monday is the last timetabled day for prelims for S4-6. Arrangements continue to be made for anyone who has missed an exam.

On Tuesday, we open our new Inclusion Hub. This will be based in our Library setting and will be supported by Ms Osborne, Mrs Hardie and other dedicated staff. The purpose of the hub is to support young people, who for a variety of reasons, have missed classes and / or struggle to engage with school. Therefore, we hope that this will help to re-engage those young people in their Curriculum by building confidence and knowledge to support their return to timetabled classes.

This will, in turn, allow our PSO base to return to supporting young people who are having difficulty with anxiety and mental health issues, providing a quiet safe space and providing support as required.

I hope you have an enjoyable weekend with friends and family.

Best wishes

Chris McKay

Rector

20 January 2023