Kirkcaldy High School

Respect for Self, Others, and Learning

Rector’s Log 13/01/23

Welcome to the first Rector’s Log for this term (and new year), I hope you and your family are well.

The week that’s been…

It has been a very busy start to the new year, with young people returning to school following the festive break. As ever, life doesn’t stand still here in KHS. Young people in S4-6 have just begun their prelim diet this week. We have had a few worries and concerns for some but overall, young people have shown great courage and commitment to undertaking this important stage in their schooling.

Young people in S1 – 3 are enjoying being back in school, working hard in class and socialising with their peers. I have enjoyed meeting with some young people through the HT 5-a-day, discussing their learning experiences in school. I have also enjoyed speaking to others about what they did over the holidays. Some are a little unsettled, but we are working with them and their families to support a calm return to school.

As ever, Mrs Whyte has asked me to share the following about DYW:

This is now the time of year when employers start to look for apprentices/ employees. Recent feedback from employers have said that alongside qualifications they are looking for “A person that is willing to learn and go that extra mile. Someone who has an interest and cares about the work they do.” Could that be you?

Apprenticeships and job adverts are being added to the Padlet all the time including currently Diageo, Babcock, EDF and Lloyds Banking Group.

Thank you to all who have provided feedback on our proposal for new inclusion base and changes to our course choice process. The feedback has been really positive, and I am pleased to announce that we will open our new inclusion base on Tuesday 24th January. More details will follow next week.

The week ahead…

Prelims continue for young people in S4-6 next week with the last prelims on Monday 23rd January 2023.

Industrial action is due to take place again on Wednesday 18th January. As a result, KHS will be closed to young people on this day only. We will welcome young people back to school on Thursday 19th January.

I hope you have an enjoyable weekend with friends and family.

Best wishes

Chris McKay

Rector

13 January 2023