Kirkcaldy High School

Respect for Self, Others, and Learning

Rector’s Log 16/09/22

Dear Parent/Carer,

Welcome to this weeks Rector’s log. I hope you and your family are doing well.

The week that’s been…

Another busy week in KHS…

Last week, I forgot to add that Kirkcaldy High School have become the first school in Fife to achieve the Vision Schools Scotland Award (you may have already viewed this on Twitter). To receive the award, we had to demonstrate the school’s commitment to the importance of Holocaust Education and Citizenship. Along with other departments, including English and Humanities, the Social Subjects Department put together the application and submitted this for accreditation. We will officially be presented with the award in the Scottish Parliament by the Education Secretary in February.

Today, I met (online) with Nicky Grant, your new permanent Head Teacher. Ms Grant and I will meet regularly over the coming weeks to ensure a smooth transition. Ms Grant is due to begin on 24th October 2022.

Following consultation at Parent Council and with over 500 returns from the online form, all Parents’ Evenings will be held in person, in KHS. The S3 Parents’ Evening on 28th September will be at the school and appointment details have been sent. Minutes from Parent Council will be sent out to all parents / carers via Groupcall.

Next week, I will send you another form to consult you on our plans for School Improvement and Pupil Equity Funding. I would appreciate you taking 2 or 3 minutes to complete this. Again, this will be sent via Groupcall.

Today, we had the school nurse team in, handing out leaflets to pupils about the service and what they can expect from them. The Kirkcaldy Health Zone will be in school every Friday to support our young people with any health concerns or information.

As ever, Mrs Whyte asked me to pass on information about DYW: The Padlet has been updated with some opportunities including many local part-time jobs including – Waiting Staff, Store Assistants, Kitchen Staff and Children’s Party Host at Wonder World!

First step when applying for a job is to write a CV there is help on the Padlet with how to do so!

We still also have local apprenticeships and work experience available on the padlet. Please have a look!

Over the past 2 days, we have had 3 false fire alarms. These alarms have been set off in PE changing rooms and PE toilets due to aerosol deodorant being used. In one case, someone has actually sprayed deodorant onto the sensor to deliberately set this off. I would appreciate your support in speaking to your child about this and ensuring that young people do not bring aerosols to school. Given the low ceilings in the changing rooms and the sensitive nature of the alarm, any aerosol use will result in the alarm being set off.

The week ahead…

Following the sad news of the passing of Her Majesty the Queen, the date of Her Majesty the Queen’s State Funeral is Monday 19th September 2022. This is a national Bank Holiday and therefore the school will be closed to all pupils. Pupils should return to school on Tuesday, 20th September 2022.

Next week will see our first S1 groups going to Fordell Firs. We wish them well as they develop new skills and confidence through the outdoor and adventure tasks. Thank you to Mr Greenhorn for all his work in planning and supporting this. Thanks also to all the staff who have support this and those who are attending with our young people. I hope to update you on this next week.

Best wishes,

Chris McKay

Interim Rector

16 September 2022