Kirkcaldy High School

Respect for Self, Others, and Learning

Rector’s Log 17/06/22

Dear Parent/Carer

Welcome to the usual update from a very busy KHS. In fact, this past wee while has seen lots of activity, trips and events … the most we’ve seen in three years.

Our new staff expected for August have started to check in and I’ll share full details and names and subjects next week when all have done so. As I think I mentioned recently, it is looking pretty good for August. I reckon we are very likely to be fully staffed. This is good going at a time when there is a bit of a recruitment crisis. We really need those extra teachers due to a sharply rising roll.

On Monday evening, we held a parent/carer evening for those involved in our WW1 Battlefields trip next spring. Chief organisers Miss Osborne and Mr Harrower will be joined by Ms Preece (PSO) and myself to take a group of 38 young people to Belgium and France, to an area steeped in history. I’m looking forward to it. Despite me being officially retired, I am able to be a volunteer helper. It was also the “Friends of KHS” AGM on Monday evening, held online. Thanks to FoKHS for all they do to support our school. Thanks especially to Harry Kerr, for his ten years service as Chair. Harry stood down on Monday evening, to be replaced by wife Judith. Steven Hay replaces Ron Moodie as Treasurer. Ron had been treasurer since 2006 and has been a real stalwart.

Tuesday evening was very special. We held our Prizegiving for the first time in three years. It was a pleasure to welcome families back into the school to help us recognise achievement in its widest sense and to say farewell to the Class of 2022, our leavers. We also remembered Paige Dougall. A new award has been constituted in Paige’s name and we were joined by renowned singer songwriter Callum Beattie, who became a close friend to Paige and her family in the final year of her life. Callum touched all our hearts with his emotional rendition of “Stand By Me”. Our principal guest was Carrie Lindsay, Fife’s Education chief, and Carrie spoke passionately about the work of our school and our collective efforts to find a way to give everyone the school they deserve.

The Deputes also laid on a wee surprise video tribute for another leaver … me! I must thank them for going to the lengths they have to mark my upcoming retirement. I was honoured and surprised to view short video clips from Gordon Brown, John Swinney and Gary Tank Commander! Mr Young must be well connected. Mrs Hamilton had even organised a drone film with our kids out in the playground wishing me well. The evening was rounded off by Jessica McGregor and Charlie Murdoch, who spoke on behalf of the Class of 22 before introducing our new Head Girl and Boy, Ellie Ness and Harry Turner and then leading the leavers from the Hall to a standing ovation. It was all very touching. Massive appreciation goes to Mrs Davidson, who organised it all with the help of a large team of staff and pupils. Please see the attached copy of the Prizegiving programme, which gives you details of all the winners, sponsors etc

Wednesday was the Fife Schools’ Athletics at Pitreavie and we had a group of S1/2 pupils competing, supported by Miss Kirkwood of the PE Department. Very well done to all of our competitors, especially medallists: S1 Emma Massey – 1st shot putt, Jason Davies – 3rd in 200m and shot putt, and Kian Low – 3rd 800m. S2 Jessica Husband – 2nd 800m, 3rd shot putt & 4 x 100m relay, Erin Husband – 3rd 200m and 800m & 4 x 100m relay, and Ella Stevenson and Amelie Mitchell – 3rd 4 x 100m relay. Many thanks to Miss Kirkwood. We also had pupils at the Youth and Philanthropy (YPI) Showcase in Perth. I’m very grateful to Mrs Whyte of the RME Department for taking our own YPI winning team along to celebrate good causes and charitable giving. S3 pupils Amy, Sasha, Sophie and Caleb had won a £3000 prize for Fife Women’s Aid and really enjoyed their day at the Perth Concert Hall.

Yesterday and today we have had almost 300 new starts in school for our P7 Welcome Days. These are the kids who will be joining our S1 in August. I have to say that we have all been impressed by the new intake. They have been polite, cheerful and well behaved with a good attitude to learning. They are a credit to their current teachers and we are looking forward to having them become part of KHS from August. The pupils followed their timetable, met new teachers and were in the class they will join in August. Last night we had a disco/party in school, hosted by Prefects, whilst parents/carers met senior staff and guidance teachers and were able to ask any questions. Each family received a print copy of our latest Prospectus. This two day event has all been quite an undertaking, to create a timetable and workable arrangements has been challenging. Massive thanks to Miss Diamond, who has organised the event. Big thanks too, to our S6 Prefects and “Buddies” who have looked after the wee ones so well.

Also today, Robert Greenhorn, our Active Schools coordinator has organised organised a visit to the Michael Woods Centre in Glenrothes for the “LEAP” Sports Festival Fortnight, part of Pride Month. Our LGBT+ group will also be taking part in a social event, again connected with Pride, at Auchmuty High School this Sunday.

This busy week ends with this evening’s S6 Prom, which this year is being held at Forrester Park near Dunfermline. I’m really looking forward to it. It’s always a lovely send off and the Class of 22 certainly deserves that. As Charlie Murdoch said at Prizegiving, these are the guys who suffered the biggest setbacks in their educational progress due to Covid. Farewell to a fantastic group of amazing young people.

Next week we have a group of S6 scientists taking part in a “CSI” enquiry at Fife College. On Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday we’ll have House Assemblies, the final assemblies of the session. At the Carlyle Assembly, I’ll present an Achiever’s Tie to Libby Hamilton (new S4). Libby has been a prominent member of the National Youth Brass Band of Scotland and is recognised for her exceptional achievements in music. She also plays with school bands and the Dysart Colliery band.

On Tuesday evening, we will have a meeting of the KHS Parent Council. Chair Victoria Stokoe has asked me to invite you all to join us online at 6pm. The main agenda items will be staffing, our budget position and our improvement priorities for next session. Please just respond to this email to receive log in details.

Of course, the biggie next week is “Little Shop of Horrors”, our school show on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Tickets for the show are now available on iPayimpact. They can be purchased by logging into iPayimpact – go to ‘Accounts’ then ‘Shop’. You can then pick up tickets at the school reception. Tickets can also be purchased using cash at the school office in addition to the iPayimpact option. Alternatively you can pick up a ticket on the evening of the show subject to availability. They are priced at £5 and £3. Please get along, it’ll be a great night out I’m sure.

The session ends on Thursday 30 June when we will have our usual Dress Down Day, with proceeds going to our YPI runners up charities; Oliver’s Army (Assistance and Therapy Dogs), The Yard Kirkcaldy, Diabetes UK, Curly Star Foundation, Shelter Scotland and DAPL. We also have our traditional talent show. This is being organised and hosted by the new Prefect team. It’s always one of their duties … and always great fun.

Please check out our Employability “Padlet”.

Highlights include an opportunity for S5 interested in Medicine – there is an upcoming work experience in the hospital available, a virtual RAF Work Experience on 22nd July, apprenticeships in Electrical and Mechanical Engineering, Vehicle Paint Retail, Legal Administration, Scaffolding and Joinery. There are also a number of upcoming work experience opportunities for S4-6. If any young person would benefit from some time seeing what the world of work is like they should speak to Mrs Whyte.

Thanks again for your best wishes. I am humbled by these. I’m looking forward to retiring and I know it’s time to go but will undoubtedly miss KHS. Your kindness is greatly appreciated. Please remember to reply to this message and the Office will send you the Zoom details for next Tuesday evening. These will be issued on Monday or Tuesday morning.

You take care … and have a braw weekend.

Derek Allan
RECTOR
17 June 2022