Kirkcaldy High School

Respect for Self, Others, and Learning

Rector’s Log 25/03/22

Dear Parent/Carer

I’m hoping you are well. Here is the latest from KHS.

First off, apologies that there is a bit less detail than usual, but I am currently off work having tested positive for COVID-19 last weekend. I’m starting to feel better now but am still showing as positive. I should be back on Monday.

I’m certainly not the only one posted missing right now, and I’m afraid that is still the main news. Yesterday and today, we have had more than 25 teachers absent from work. This is unprecedented. This term, we have now had over 50 cases of COVID-19 amongst the staff alone and almost 400 pupil cases reported. It’s a miracle that we are still open, and it is only possible because of the lengths gone to by all our staff to find a way to muddle through. The Deputes have been incredible, looking after multiple classes at a time, either in the Assembly Hall, Dinner Hall or out on the playing fields.

However, we have managed to hold House Assemblies this week, led by the Guidance team, even though that too is a severely depleted team at present. The assemblies had a focus on respect, kindness and tackling prejudice, including racism and homophobia. We also held further practical tests for SQA, especially in Dance. Yesterday, a large group of S1 and S2 were along at the Carnegie Conference Centre in Dunfermline taking part in the “Big Ideas” Roadshow with Fife College and in school we had workshops run by “SHE”, a third sector organisation which supports initiatives to improve the confidence and self-esteem of young women. Today we are organising the S1 Tracking Reports for posting home.

Next week is the final week of this term and we’ll have Yeargroup Assemblies, led by the Deputes. Fife Fire and Rescue staff will have a special input at the S2 Assembly on Tuesday. Wednesday is the first round of interviews (long leet) for the post of Headteacher, from August. I am pleased to say that a good number of very strong candidates have applied, many with previous experience as a Head. Victoria Stokoe, the Chair of our Parent Council, is part of the selection panel. The final decision about the appointment is expected on 22 April. We’ll have a Parent Council meeting the following week.

We’ll close the term as usual, with a “Dress Down Day” in aid of “Comfort International” – our partner charity working in Rwanda

I mentioned last week that during the holidays we intend to run “Easter School” study/revision sessions for S4-6 taking SQA exams. Please find a schedule attached. I am very grateful to all the staff giving up time. Also, many thanks to Mr Sanderson (History) who collated all the returns and created the timetable. Much appreciated.

Finally, congratulations to Callum Husband S5, who has won a place at the Strathclyde University Scottish Space School, which takes place in June. Well done Callum … what an excellent achievement and opportunity.

Have a good weekend all. Take care.

Derek Allan
RECTOR
25 March 2022