Kirkcaldy High School

Respect for Self, Others, and Learning

Rector’s Log 20/8/21

Dear Parent/Carer

Welcome to the first regular Friday update of session 2021-2022. I hope that you are well.

KHS is up and running, with our pupils and staff happy to back in school again. I have to say that, despite the constraints and the unfamiliarity of the experience, the new S1 kids have settled in really well. They are looking very smart and showing a good, positive attitude which has impressed the teachers. Many thanks to the buddies and Prefect team, led by Daanish Mahmood (Head Boy) and Jessica McGregor (Head Girl). Our Seniors have been a terrific support for the wee ones … although some are not that wee!

On the theme of teachers, I can report that we now have a full teaching staff complement after a significant level of recruitment over the summer break. Welcome to new teachers Miss Dora Burbank (Latin), Miss Shannon Coggill (Modern Languages), Mr Matthew Fricker (Maths), Mrs Rachel Geddes (Biology), Mrs Jennifer Gibson (Geography), Miss Rachel Kelsey (English), Mr Euan McCowan (History) and Mrs Robyn McMahon (Home Economics). We also have two new teaching assistants; Mrs Vicki Hall and Mr Scott Warrender, and Miss Kelly Robertson new to the Office team. It’s also been a pleasure to welcome Mrs Thompson (English and Guidance) and Mrs Ellis (English) back from maternity leave. Mrs Thompson now returns to her role as Guidance Teacher for Adam Smith House. So too does Mrs Hunter, resuming her role as Guidance for Carlyle.

It’s just as well we have had a successful recruitment drive as the school roll is currently sitting above 1450, the highest in many years and about 350 higher than 4 years ago. Accommodation is becoming quite tight and class sizes are often at the maximum permitted level. The school feels really busy, and it’s a credit to the new S1 that they have started so well despite all the public health constraints and the strangeness of their new environment.

Of course, we continue to be alert to the danger posed by coronavirus and are now working in a different the contact tracing framework with contacts of cases required to take a PCR test rather than having to undertake mandatory self-isolation. Some of the details are yet to be finalised at Council level and in the meantime, we are making direct contact home. You can book a test online or by calling 0800 028 2816 . I’m informed that the mobile unit in front of the Town House will do “walk in” PCR testing on request. I’m quite surprised at the level of asymptomatic cases being reported right now. As it stands, we have 15 young people who have tested positive in the past 10 days. We’ve also had a few cases amongst the staff as well as a couple of “pings”.

Sadly, we are still not permitted to hold assemblies but we can see a gradual move towards “normality” in some areas. In place of assemblies, we are asking all young people to sign up to Year group “Teams” via their online “GLOW” accounts. The join codes are in the email/text version of this log There is also talk of school sports teams resuming and we are beginning to explore a few trips and excursions, some utilising the school minibus for the first time in many months. More details soon. In the meantime, thanks for your ongoing support, especially in helping to ensure that your son or daughter brings their own reusable face covering to school every day. It’s appreciated.

One of the most important things we’ve missed has been Parents’ Evenings. I have some good news on that front. Although we are still unable to host “face to face” Parents’ Evenings, we are putting arrangements in place for these to be conducted online using the “PEBS” system we had in place for online bookings. I’m told it’s reasonable straightforward and that parents/carers can use a phone, tablet, laptop or desktop computer. We will be putting out much more information before the first run through. That’ll be the S3 Parents’ Evening on Wednesday 22 September. I’m very grateful to Mrs Hume (Head of English), who is taking the lead with this initiative.

Back to the theme of health, and a reminder that 16 and 17 year olds are able to use the “walk-in” COVID-19 vaccination centres. I would urge them all to do that, it’s an another risk reduction strategy. More info is on the Government website. Also, we have just been informed that all staff and young people will be offered a flu vaccination in school in advance of the winter flu season. NHS Fife will host vaccination sessions in our school Hall on September 22 (for S5/6 and staff) and on October 6 (for S1-4). More details soon in a specific email. We’ll issue consent letters shortly. Once again, I would encourage your support for this helpful public health measure.

I expect to be in touch again early next week with more specific details about those contact tracing arrangements. In the meantime, do enjoy the weekend.

Best wishes

Derek Allan
RECTOR
20 August 2021