Kirkcaldy High School

Respect for Self, Others, and Learning

Rector’s Log 2/10/20

Dear Parent/Carer

Welcome to the weekly bulletin from your school. I hope that all is ok with you.

You will have received a message about the school linked coronavirus case. May I reiterate that this is not an outbreak or a cluster, but a single incidence, in which the person concerned followed all the right guidance. I would stress that transmission is not directly connected to the school and that the potential impact, as far as we can tell through “test and protect”, is especially limited. This is largely down to the person testing positive taking all the right actions very swiftly. Some schools affected by COVID situations have had to ask whole classes or even yeargroups to stay home. That is not happening here at present, nor is it anticipated. Please be assured that we are on top of the situation and that the risk to others remains very low. I would ask that you ignore any social media speculation about school closures etc. Making up or spreading rumours is easy, but often harmful or hurtful.

Numeracy in Latin

Numeracy in Latin

In school, it’s been “Maths Week Scotland” and we’ve had some excellent examples of numeracy learning taking place across the school (please see photos from Latin, Business and Art). October is also “Black History Month”, so learners can expect some focus on what has often been a neglected aspect of our shared heritage.

Yesterday, Cara Hayes (Head Girl) and Cameron Hamilton (Depute Head Boy) were involved in an online meeting with John Swinney, the Deputy First Minister and Cabinet Secretary for Education. They discussed the subject of SQA Qualifications and exams.  In the afternoon I took a call from another Headteacher colleague who was also part of the meeting, who advised me that the KHS kids were “outstanding”. That was another proud moment for me, and it’s not an uncommon feeling at all. As for the qualifications themselves, I understand that the SQA will publish details of the assessment procedures early next week. At that point we’ll know whether the exams will take place as scheduled or an alternative model will apply.

Today we are issuing the S1 “Settling In” Reports and I would ask that you contact Guidance should you need to discuss any aspect of the report. Congratulations to the S1 who have settled in so well, despite the extraordinary circumstances and arrangements in place.

Numeracy in Business

Numeracy in Business

Recently I mentioned that we would be allowing learners to bring a laptop, tablet or smartphone to school to assist with their studies. We now have an accessible wifi network across the school and providing the risk is managed and devices used in a controlled way, personal IT in lessons could be, for many learners, very beneficial. You can see that in a few years time it will be commonplace. Please see the attachment for our “Bring Your Own Device” (BYOD) Policy. You should be aware that we can’t be held responsible for any loss or damage and that we don’t allow personal gadgets to be charged in school on the grounds of electrical safety.

This ties in neatly with our new mobile phone arrangements, which got off to a good start yesterday. Any pupil who is disrupting a lesson by using a phone inappropriately will be required to place their device in the “phone box” we now have in each classroom. The phone can be collected at the end of the lesson. For repeat offences, we’ll ask you to keep the phone at home.

A couple of random things to close if you don’t mind. Firstly, congratulations to Kieron Bowie, who left school last summer to join Raith Rovers. After a highly successful spell, and a run of goals, Kieron signed for Fulham FC. He is based in London and has now been called up to the Scotland U19 squad to play England this month. Well done Kieron. Please do your thing against the “Auld Enemy”. We could use some cheering up on the football front.

Numeracy in Art

Numeracy in Art

Also, yesterday was 30 years to the day since Lesley Hardie (leader of our most excellent Pupil Support Officer Team) started at KHS. This makes Lesley, officially, a legend. However, all her friends here, and all the kids she has lifted over the years, know that she has long held this title anyway. Congratulations and many thanks Lesley.

Next week is the final week of term. Many of us will be quite looking forward to that! As I say it’s been extraordinary … and tough going. However, we can have a collective sense of satisfaction in a job well done. It’s been a delight to be back these past 8 weeks, far preferable to “KHS in the Hoose”. So, let’s do all we can to keep our school going. This involves everyone following the rules on hygiene, face coverings, distancing and isolating. Please discuss these issues at home. That would be greatly appreciated. Events this week in KHS and elsewhere have reminded us how easy it would be for a virus outbreak to have a big impact on us all. Let’s take care.

Yours

Derek Allan

RECTOR
2 October 2020