Kirkcaldy High School

Respect for Self, Others, and Learning

Rector’s Log 28/8/20

Dear Parent/Carer

Welcome to this week’s bulletin from KHS. I hope that you and your family are well.

We’ve had quite a few staff members and pupils absent this week due to precautionary testing for Covid-19, often as a result of a household member being unwell. I am pleased to report that none of the tests undertaken by anyone linked to KHS have been positive and we are still managing to function very well in the circumstances. I continue to be impressed by how our young people have adapted to the new ways of working. I appreciate that it is difficult in crowded spaces, but please continue to encourage your son or daughter, especially if they are a bit older, to keep their distance from others as a precaution. As you are aware, there is still the need for 2m physical distances for the teachers and other adults in school. The other main aspects of our risk assessment are hand washing/sanitisation, sanitising desks/work spaces with antibacterial wipes, our one way system and additional cleaning being undertaken throughout the course of the day, with a special focus on bannisters, handles and toilets. To ease crowding at lunchtime we have purchased additional outdoor picnic benches, and these were installed today. This means we have outdoor seating for about 160 young people. We are encouraging, when the weather permits, our young people to take their lunch outside. This reflects Government thinking about outdoor, well ventilated areas posing a low risk.

Of course, the big news this week is the Scottish Government’s announcement that face coverings must be worn in secondary schools (and on school buses) from Monday. They will not be required in class but will be expected to be worn (with some exceptions) where crowding might be an issue eg in the corridors between lessons. Should any young person (or an adult staff member) choose to use a covering in class, that is perfectly acceptable. I think that you will have received a letter of explanation from Carrie Lindsay, Fife Executive Director of Education, on this matter? Just in case you haven’t, I am including it as an attachment. The decision has been made in light of the latest World Health Organisation advice and the Council have provided helpful guidance here; .

Also, to help our pupils get the message, Mr Young (Depute Head), Mrs Hamilton (Depute Head) and Mrs Duckett of the Music Department have collaborated to create a great wee animation. All of our kids were shown the clip before lunchtime today and you can check it out here;

Thanks to the staff who created this. I think Mrs Duckett used “lockdown” as an opportunity to train as a video animator and I’m just hoping that she won’t be head-hunted by Disney!

Face coverings will be another new challenge, but we have already shown that we can manage these things well. You may recall that I closed last week’s “log” by explaining that face coverings were “welcome” in KHS. From Monday, they are now “expected”. Many thanks for your support with this. I hope that the links provided will answer any queries you may have. However, if you are still unsure, or think that your son/daughter should be exempt (and the reasons are given in the official guidance), please do be in touch.

On a different tack completely, next week we are expecting to receive a significant quantity of new scientific equipment donated by Exxon Mossmorran as part of their schools’ partnership programme. Not all Fife schools are part of this and we are delighted to be selected to receive this support. I am grateful to Miss Malcom (our “Young Workforce” Coordinator) who has established such good links with Exxon. Of course I am also grateful to the company for their support. I will give more details next week when we have taken delivery.

Many thanks … take care.

Derek Allan

RECTOR

28 August 2020