Kirkcaldy High School

Respect for Self, Others, and Learning

Rector’s Log 14/8/21

Dear Parent/Carer

It’s been quite some time since I was able to send out a regular weekly update with a focus of what’s been happening in school. So, you can imagine that I take a great deal of pleasure in being able to do so this Friday. I do hope that you are in good enough shape and that there is a sense of relief in your household that school is back.

Congratulations and a big “thank you” to all our young people for settling back in so brilliantly well this week. There were some fears that it all might be a bit too overwhelming after 5 months out, but the kids have been terrific. As far as I can see, every single one of them has been desperate to get back to school. Same for all the staff. We’re delighted to be back, despite the extra health and safety precautions we are all required to take.

All staff and pupils have now undergone an induction with a focus on hand washing, physical distance (for adults), the one way system and being alert for Covid symptoms. I should perhaps make things clear about how we will react to any pupil presenting with a persistent cough or fever. The young person will be removed from class and placed in isolation until collected by you. You should then arrange for Covid testing. No tests are done in school.

Having a “soft start” by house has allowed us to test out our new systems. We have had fantastic support from our new Prefects (photo) … many thanks to Jonathan, Cara and the rest of the team, and we have tweaked a few things in light of this week’s experiences. We’re now braced to welcome 1300 young people next week. That will be the real test.

The other big news this week was the Scottish Government’s change of heart about the SQA awards. I use the term “heart” deliberately because that’s what seems to have happened. Human decency, kindness and the “benefit of the doubt” have replaced computerised modelling. To the “system”, young people are little more than a Scottish Candidate Number. To their teachers they are human beings and even young friends in many ways. We know their strengths, capability and potential to a far greater extent than even the most complex statistical model ever can. I think you can tell that I am very pleased that compassion and optimism won the day! I was delighted to be involved in presenting some of the upgrade letters this week. Congratulations to our 2020 SQA candidates. Know that your school is proud of your achievements.

You are maybe aware that we have a large number of pupils who study at Fife College part time. Some are following a Foundation Apprenticeship whilst others are taking vocational qualifications. In the meantime, until the College develops new arrangements, those students are expected to “work from home” on Tuesday, Thursday and/or Friday afternoons on the flexible study packages which have been made available to them. We can help anyone who needs support with IT eg we can make a laptop computer available on loan if required … just ask. Contact Mrs Davidson in the first place.

One of the things we will be required to change (at least temporarily) are the arrangements for packed lunches. We are just not sure that we will have enough room in the Dining Hall for everyone taking school meals and those bringing in a piece from home. So, those with a packed lunch will still have access, but not until 1.15pm. We are also laying on additional classroom space and other indoor space, and we have ordered up new picnic benches for the front playground, all available from 1pm. If your son or daughter is bringing lunch from home, please encourage them to eat outside (weather permitting). We’ll review the space available in a couple of weeks once we know whether kids’ eating patterns have changed. I must say that it does look like one of the changes may be that the school buses might not be as busy, despite the fact that overall capacity has been slightly reduced. It looks like more pupils are choosing to walk or cycle to school at the moment. We’ll see how that works out … it would be something which I would encourage.

As I say, next week will be challenging, as we move to full occupancy. We have scheduled a meeting of the Extended Leadership Team (ie the lead Principal Teachers) for Thursday so that we can keep on top of things. In the meantime, thanks for all your support.

Should you need any help, do be in touch. Please discuss the hand hygiene and distancing issues at home and please bear in mind that at the first sign of coughing, fever or the loss of taste or smell, your son/daughter should be kept at home and you should arrange for a Covid test. Please do not send your kids to school if they show any signs which could be in any way connected to the virus.

This is a big step forward for Scotland, but we need to be ever alert to the danger of outbreaks and “clusters”. I am determined that KHS will always be a safe and reassuring place to learn. We achieve this by following all the rules.

Many thanks

Derek Allan

RECTOR
14 August 2020