Kirkcaldy High School Rwanda Links

Just another blogs.glowscotland.org.uk – Fife site

Fourth Day in Rwanda – Dominika’s Thoughts

Dear Friends,

Today was interesting. I thoroughly enjoyed learning about the different culture in Rwanda, for example: the trades they learn and their school space. It was fascinating to see the difference between education at home and the education they have here. I think it helped me to appreciate that even our smaller facilities which aren’t as developed as they could be are better than the ones which Rwandans work in.

In the afternoon we went to visit a Rwandan craft group that was originated by widows and orphans suffering the consequences of the genocide in 1994. They told us about themselves and showed us the crafts which they make as well as measuring us to have tailor made clothes. Despite their saddening stories of the past we all still communicated well and enjoyed ourselves.

I think that so far, the biggest lesson I have learned is forgiveness. It amazes me how a country of people driven to war and murder have managed to forgive each other about the events of the past. Forgiveness is a valuable lesson that many people have yet to learn.  Life is too short to waste your energy on hatred of others for something that already happened. I hope that Rwanda continues to shape me to be a better person and maybe some day I could be someone’s inspiration for a better future.

Love, Dominika.