Mr Knight

Just another blogs.glowscotland.org.uk – Falkirk site

April 9, 2020
by Mr Knight
0 comments

Pixar Home Learning Challenge Cards

Pixar Home Learning Challenge Cards

All of the challenge cards have been created to make things as simple as possible for carrying them out at home. They are not linked specifically to a certain area of the curriculum, due to the fact that there are various experiences and outcomes that can be assigned to each one. I have tried to design and word them in such as way to provide as much interpretation as possible and to suit all learners. I hope these can be put to good use!! However, I felt that a few of the challenges required further explanation..

ENJOY!!

BUG HOTEL

As the nicer weather draws in (he says hopefully), gardens and green-spaces can become a hive of insect activity. Learn how to help enhance that and explore the learning that can be created around this experience.

TIP: Don’t put it close to your house!!!

This website is particularly helpful: https://gardentherapy.ca/build-a-bug-hotel/

GIANT BUBBLES

This STEM activity is a firm favourite in my classroom this year. All that’s needed is a basin, washing up liquid and a drop of glycerin (found in the baking aisle of any supermarket chain for about £1).

You’re going to want to make your own Bubble Wand which is just as simple. I used two drinking straws, and 2 pieces of string that was 6 to 8 times longer than the length of one straw. Thread the string through the straws, tie some knots, and you’re good to go!

This website is particularly helpful: https://www.redtedart.com/bubble-recipe/

FEELINGS CHART

Inside out is a fantastic movie which can encourage viewers young and old to take a look inside their own minds. It focuses on five key emotions: Joy, Sadness, Anger, Fear, and Disgust. This Health and Wellbeing task is designed to start conversations and help learners become more thoughtful about their emotions. Furthermore, this can be done in a way they wish to express themselves, rather than using a set format. These conversations are key, as it can be difficult for learners to comprehend and make understanding of the world around them (especially with all the current events happening in the world right now right now). This is a variation of a weekly task I do with my ASN pupils in class, where communication can be a barrier to their learning experience and it has worked wonders. Have a go and you might just find out something new and surprising. (Adults don’t be shy to have a go too!!)

SCRATCH

https://scratch.mit.edu/

Scratch is a tool I have seen used in many schools. It allows you to program your own interactive stories, games, and animations — and share your creations with others in the online community.

Their website provides detailed tutorials containing useful information on how it all works. Patience is the key here (as with learning any new skill) and it’s easy to get to grips with after a little invested time. Grown-ups – Don’t be surprised if the children get the hang of it quicker than you do. I certainly found that in my experience with classes anyway!!

April 1, 2020
by Mr Knight
0 comments

Mr Knight’s Mental Maths Darts Challenge

Darts Challenge

Click the text above to download the Power point.

Age Range – P4-P7

Idea – It is no secret in the school that my new favourite hobby of 2020 is darts. It is a game that requires quick, mental numeracy skills, which is helped by practise and repetition. Therefore, I have created a resource which is fun and engaging, to try and help improve mental maths skills for learners.

As pupils may not be aware of the rules regarding a dart board, an instructional slide has been placed at the beginning.

Application – The slides are colour coded in a familiar way,  to expresses their difficulty (Green-Amber-Red). Initially the green challenges are set to single multiples, where the number hit is displayed immediately after the dart has hit the board. As we move onto amber and red challenges, the pupils are encouraged to work out the doubles and trebles after each dart is thrown (hence an extra click is required before the value reveals itself).

Differentiation – The slides are colour coded to indicate their difficulty. Furthermore, pupils could be encouraged to complete questions in a variety of ways. This could include: using whiteboard/paper, calculators or completely in their heads.

Remember the full slides do not need to be completed in one go, it could be a gradual progression.

All slides can be edited or adapted to suit your own learner’s needs if you have a bit of Power point ‘know how’.

I hope you enjoy this resources as much as I do. Use it, save it and adapt it as many times as you like.

Click Link – Open – Enable editing – Start Powerpoint