Lysa Thomson – New PITW Peripatetic Visiting Teacher

I’m Lysa Thomson and have just started in the new role of Visiting Teacher: Play Pedagogy within the Early Years Team. I’m excited to embark on this new post and work alongside colleagues to continue to embed our play pedagogy in Falkirk.

Before joining the team, I worked for ten years as a Class Teacher from Nursery to Primary Seven and most recently for four years as Principal Teacher with remit for ELC/P1-3. I love the variation, excitement and collaboration that working in education brings. My passion lies in Early Years and ensuring that children come and leave school each day full of enthusiasm for play and learning. Within the last four years I have taught in Primary One and led and developed Play within Primary One and Two. During these years and now, I continue to eat, sleep and breathe the transformational change to an appropriate play pedagogy. I have a clear understanding of why this pedagogical approach should be commonplace and how it can be achieved using the tools, knowledge and support of our colleagues in Falkirk and beyond. Within my new role I have a focus on learning, teaching and assessment, delivering CLPL, building networks for Teachers and Practitioners, sharing Falkirk Council’s vision with Parents and Carers and representing Falkirk within the Early Years FVWLRIC Team.  I’m looking forward to working with colleagues in our schools to continue to drive Play is the Way to ensure our children in Falkirk have the best start to life at school.

How can I help?  

• Work with you or your team to create the vision for your school’s Play Pedagogy, evaluate where you are and what your next steps are in driving Play is the Way forward in your school.
  • Support staff in meeting the aims of the School Improvement Plan or Practitioner Enquiry in relation to developing a play pedagogy in Primary One.
  • Work collaboratively with staff to develop their understanding of high quality play pedagogy and what this looks like in day-to-day practice.
  • Signpost staff to the suite of resources and guidance available.
  • Facilitate discussion to overcome challenges you are currently facing in implementing Play is the Way in your class or school.

If you feel this would be beneficial to yourself or your team, please complete the Request Form for P1 Pedagogy which can be found at:

Falkirk Early Learning – Play is the Way – the full story – All Documents (sharepoint.com)

I look forward to working with you in the future.

Lysa