Woodwork in Falkirk

Woodwork in Falkirk

Click here to access our Woodwork  information and resources (this is available only to Falkirk staff and will require a Glow account to access) where you will find some guidance (currently working on developing guidance) which will support woodwork in practice. This also includes wonderful examples from practitioners Froebel projects from studying Froebel in Childhood Practice Certificate course through the University of Edinburgh.

“Woodwork is active learning at its best!” Tina Bruce, CBE

We plan to create and devise our Falkirk Froebel Family Woodwork Guidance for all educators who have woodwork as core provision in our Falkirk Early Years/ Level establishments. Our Falkirk Froebel CLPL for 2020-2021 will also include CPD for woodwork.

We highly recommend the work of Pete Moorhouse: he has a fabulous website at: https://irresistible-learning.co.uk for those who would like to deepen their understanding and knowledge of woodwork in the Early Years his book would support this extremely well.

Pete’s new book is published by Routledge
Learning Through Woodwork: Introducing Creative Woodwork in the Early Years

Please collaborate and share your woodwork journey as we learn together by sharing tweets @FalkirkFroebel …..
Wonderful Woodwork in Falkirk

Why I chose to implement woodwork within my setting by Stacey O’Donnell, Early Years Officer at Bainsford ELC.

I took forward woodwork within my setting as I have always promoted and voiced my beliefs that children should have the opportunities to develop life skills which will ultimately benefit other aspects of their learning.  Children should be given opportunities that may seem to some a little risky in order to risk assess their own boundaries and problem solve for themselves which are valuable life lessons.  Woodwork will provide these opportunities for these skills to be developed.

I decided to use woodwork to promote these skills after attending a training session at the end of 2019 led by Pete Moorhouse.  Pete Moorhouse has a strong background with woodwork and has fully established it within his and many other settings. I’ve attended courses in the past that have covered many topics and I have developed them in the setting almost half-heartedly due to either not enough research, too many barriers or lack of interest which have resulted in rushed, overpowering and lack of depth learning experiences, whereas, after this woodwork session, I was so inspired and motivated to develop this into the nursery and couldn’t wait to get started.

I have always been hands on and love to create and experiment which is why I think this appealed to me. From my own personal experiences as a child, I have fond memories of my Papa who made all sorts out of wood for us such as dolls houses, rabbit hutches and bird feeders. Along with my gran who would make all sorts from sewing, they had the attitude of “why buy it when we can make it” which is a trait I have within me.This course resurfaced these childhood memories for me which is where I think the enthusiasm came from. When children make their own designs using writing materials or paint, they have a strong sense of pride and I love to see that same response through their woodwork creations as well as them developing important life skills.

Another reason I felt strongly about introducing woodwork within the nursery is to promote STEM. As part of the improvement plan within the whole school we are developing STEM projects at all levels. Woodwork has all the structure within it to highlight and provide opportunities in science, technology, engineering and mathematics.

If done correctly and introduced to the children within the setting gradually, woodwork can be a very popular area of the nursery. The children will develop lifelong skills that cover many areas of their development.  Skills such as creative and critical thinking, risk assessing, resilience, patience, collaborative play, problem solving, and independence are all visible and achievable through woodwork which are skills that are valuable through all stages of life.

I communicated my plans and intentions with my colleagues as all staff were to be involved in some way for woodwork to be fully implemented within my setting. These conversations were to discuss area and space, budget, sourcing tools and materials, time, routine, parental involvement, training and risk assessments.

I also informed parents/carers, both formally and informally about the positive opportunities that was to come from the children taking part in woodwork.

The most challenging part of setting up and carrying forward with woodwork is sustainability of resources. I sourced balsa wood from sites such as amazon and hobby craft. We then were lucky enough to receive a lot of pine wood from a local charity shops who were preparing to burn it.  A tip off that came from a parent.  Once woodwork is up and running and the parents see the benefits, they become your main providers on the lookout for resources and donating what they have or have collected

Overall, nothing but positive experiences has come from woodwork.  We have had amazing feedback from parents and more importantly, the learning and experiences that the children have gained in the short time it has been available in my setting is enough to know that it will be a long-term feature there.

Thank you to Stacey for sharing your woodwork blog with us after attending and being inspired by Pete Moorhouse Masterclass CPD arranged by Falkirk Froebel Family as part of Froebel in Falkirk CLPL for 2019-20