ASN Early Intervention

From the Beginning…….

Hi my name is Nicola McCarter-Gall and I am an Early Intervention pedagogue and part of the Early Intervention Team here in Falkirk Council. I officially started this role in August 2022 and work within a small team that consists of another Early Intervention Pedagogue, an Educational Psychologist, a Training and Improvement officer and the ASN Outreach Service.  My role as an Early intervention Pedagogue helps ensure children and families receive the necessary support to enable all Falkirk children to get the best possible start in life.

The Early Intervention Pedagogue Role I hold:

• Provides support and guidance to ELC teams as to how best to meet the needs of children in the setting.
  • Whilst support is generally focused on children with known or suspected additional needs, advice will be relevant to all staff and support high quality core provision.
  • Work in allocated clusters across Falkirk
  • Develop and deliver CLPL sessions relevant to needs analysis.

Levels of support – Early Intervention Pedagogue

Settings can make a self-referral in through phone call or email directly to their link Early intervention Pedagogue. Some of the ways I have been helping settings has been role modelling, question and answer sessions, delivering CLPL, having professional dialogue and developing strategies with practitioners.

As Early Intervention Pedagogues we support 39 ELC classes, 14 ELCC Centres, 14 Private Partner Nurseries and Childminders across Falkirk Council.  We have supported 46.2% of our settings since August 2022.

This bar graph breaks down the number of settings that have received support from an Early Intervention Pedagogue since August 2022

My role also involves the delivery of SVQ approved units which are based around children and families with additional support needs. The undertaking of these units should build confidence and knowledge within practitioners around working with children and families with ASN. The link to these units can be found below and if you are interested, please get in touch with me @ Nicola.mccarter@falkirk.gov.uk

Unit 339: Promote the Care, Learning and Development of children with Additional Support Needs in Early Education Settings

Unit 321: Promote the Care, Learning and Development of Children with Additional Requirements in Partnerships with Their Families

Useful links and resources

FC Staged Intervention QR                                           Early Intervention QR                                                   FC GIRFEC QR

Autism Toolbox