The Colour Monster

This week we have been reading The Colour Monster together. The story has helped us to understand different emotions and discuss different feelings and emotions we might experience. We have been sharing our emotions each day and why we might be feeling that way.

We have read the story together as a whole class and some of us have also been enjoying it on our own or with a friend.

Here are some of the comments the children shared about their learning on The Colour Monster.

“I learned about The Colour Monster and he was feeling sad. “

“I saw the The Colour Monster stomping his feet when he was angry. “

“I saw a happy Colour Monster in real life. He was yellow.”

“The Colour Monster felt loved at the end of the story. “

“The Colour Monster felt sad because he was alone.”

We created our own monsters. We had fun choosing how we wanted our monsters to be. Some had 10 eyes and 7 legs, some had wiggly arms and some even had wings and crowns. We also used lots of different shapes to create our monsters. We then discussed how our monster was feeling.

“My Colour Monster was loved. It is pink.”

“My Colour Monster is black. He was feeling scared.”

“My Colour Monster was loved because I love my family.”

We thought of a time that we felt a certain emotion; happiness, anger, calm, sadness, fear or confusion and drew a picture of this time in a jar.

“Mine was happy because I was surfing.”

“In my jar I was sad because I didn’t want to come into school.”

“Mine was calm because when I was in Tenerife I was so calm.”

To encourage us to share our feelings we enjoyed Circle Time on Friday by sharing a time that we felt happy and a time that we felt scared. Mrs Agnew is scared of spiders and some of us have promised to help her if there is a spider in the class!

“We were passing the monkey round the circle and if you had the monkey it was your turn to talk.”

“We were talking about times we felt happy and scared.”