Breakfast with Archbishop Tartaglia – Sarah McIlwham (6a5)

For me, I only really became fully involved in my faith as I got into S4 or so, I always went to mass, and followed all the saints feast days etc, but I never really understood what my faith was all about.

However, I  learned, in school and through the Parish, and I must say, that learning about my faith and what I believe has possibly been one of the most rewarding things I have done, as I use it all the time now, when I need guidance, help and support, and I think that every school pupil needs that guidance.

One of the best, most moving experiences of my life was at the start of summer going on a youth pilgrimage to Lourdes, with the Diocese of Paisley. When Mr Bradshaw first asked me if I would consider going to Lourdes, my initial reaction was the same as most 16 year olds, “Of course not, why would I want to do that?” however I went home and thought about it, and I went, and I can safely say that I’m so glad I did.

The pilgrimage involved a group of 40 or so young people, who didn’t all know each other, travelling for 30+ hours on a bus to the north of France. And I must say that, as horrific as the bus journey sounds, it bonded us as a group, you can’t spend 30 hours beside someone and not get to know them. I also learned that some people going where on their 4th pilgrimage despite being just 19 years old, that some people had been when they were younger with family members or with their parish.

When we arrived in Lourdes, the first thing we did, was put on our kilts and go down to the domain. It was miraculous to see, just one week after the horrible floods that hit Lourdes, almost everything was pristine and open to the public. The only thing that wasn’t in a useable state was the underground basilica which is very understandable. However, the quick timescale of improvements demonstrates the remarkable nature of humanity and peoples willingness to help at a time of great need.

Seeing and experiencing Lourdes is certainly something which sticks with someone, going in the baths, leading the torchlight procession, the stations of the cross are all things which will never leave me. The immensity of the place, the history behind every aspect and the beauty of it all is something which I will never truly grasp.

I also felt that it was a great experience in tending to the sick pilgrims who showed nothing but gratitude for that which we were doing. And it was humbling to see people, who no matter how ill or tired they are, still have strength and faith , and faith that the lord will look after them and care for them at all times. This strength and trust in the lord, for me, was truly inspiring. It was a very humbling experience to be able to help those who despite so much hardship were able to see everything as a positive and be so grateful for their life. That was especially touching and inspiring me.

In addition, the kindness and openness of all the youths have allowed us to form friendships for life, I mean, there is something to be said when people will wake up and entire bus load of people just to sing happy birthday in the French countryside as the clock strikes midnight. Baring in mind, you’ve only known them 12 hours.

Lourdes was easily the best experience of my life, it showed me, that no matter what, God will support you and you should trust in him as he never leaves you. Also it reaffirmed my faith in the catholic community, the way that they can unite so easily, brother and sister alike, in the presence of God the Father.

In addition to attending Lourdes, I also had the privilege of attending Scotlands Rio WYD. At first I was sceptical, as I think everyone involved was, as this was something that had never been done before so I was unsure of what to expect, though I must add that I was flattered to be able to represent St Ninians at such a special event. It truly was a remarkable experience to experience mass in a way that incorporates both music, hand clapping, and dancing. It was also great to learn about faith and be in an environment of people who were in the same stage of faith development as myself. I feel like this really opened my eyes to the different cultures of the world and illustrated to me that faith and Catholicism is universal, which sometimes I’ll admit, I forget. This was a great experience to broaden my views on Catholicism and that Catholic Church and to connect with my faith on a whole new level that wasn’t necessarily just praying whilst sitting at a pew in a church. It was embracing life and faith and finding new personal ways of developing our own prayers whilst feeling close to god and others and it truly did reaffirm my faith in the safety of the catholic church for when our generation become its future.

And so the definition of faith is simple; “Faith is confidence or trust in a person or entity”. This is what we are shown each and every day whilst at St Ninian’s. We are shown Gods path for us and his belief in us to be the best person we can be, something which our head master, teachers, support staff and peers encourage us to be each and every day, whilst recognising that we have support from God at all times and that faith is the light at the end of what can sometimes be testing times, especially for young people at school who are growing up.