Lasallian Developing Worlds Project – Ghana 2013

Nothing could have prepared me for the adventure I undertook this summer.  It was really a very extreme social experiment where twelve young people, most of whom didn’t know each other, were dropped in the Upper West Region of Ghana for five weeks with the task of finishing an accommodation building for teachers. The prospect daunted me but I can now say, with full confidence, that I am so glad I took the risk.

The Lasallians have been building in Kaleo, a small town in the Upper West Region, for twenty-three years and the impact that the projects have had on the lives of people in Ghana has been overwhelming. We spoke to members of the community that remembered Kaleo before the help of the Lasalians and they spoke of it in a very different way from what they thought of it now. However, this does not mean that poverty has been eradicated: I was still deeply saddened by the injustices I saw there.

Raw sewage ran through the streets of the larger towns and many children ran around with ill-fitting shoes (if they had any shoes at all), their clothes ripped, and most suffering from Kwashiorkor. Despite their hardships, the members of the community were the friendliest and most welcoming people that I have ever met. Although they had very little material goods, they were so rich in love and gratitude.

On two occasions, I swapped the building site for the classroom where I was faced with classes much busier and much rowdier than a typical St. Ninian’s one. I felt privileged to have had the opportunity to educate the children in some way as well as hearing about their hopes and aspirations. This happiness was contrasted with the harsh reality that many would be unable to achieve their dreams of going to university just because they could not afford it.

The Ghanaian society seemed to lack a middle class: leaving only the super rich and the extremely impoverished. On several occasions the social divide was made prominent by the rickety shacks and mud huts that were littered around several absurdly large mansions.

The most important things I learnt from the trip though was from the people I met there but I also learned a lot because of what and who I missed from home. Being away made me realise how easy we have life back home and how much we take for granted as well as making me appreciate the love of my family and friends so much more.  During my trip I met some of the most inspirational people I feel I will ever meet and learnt so much about teamwork, leadership and social interactions. My priorities in life were also clarified through the project as I discovered how important faith, love and a positive attitude in life are.

I am delighted to have been granted a place on another Lasallian project, this time a teaching project in Sri Lanka. I would urge everyone given the opportunity to apply for a Lasallian project to do so – I was petrified at first but those five weeks in Ghana contain memories that I know will stay with me forever.

Gráinne Duffy (Graduate 2013)