Ae Fond Fareweel – Head Teacher signing out!

I have sent the following as an email to the Main Contact of each pupil but copied it here in case anyone has not received it. 

As you will be aware, today is my last schoolday in Barrhead High – I will still be in post as Head Teacher over the summer until 10th August, so I can still be contacted vis school mail if required! I would like to take this final opportunity to say a huge thanks to the many people who have made the last 10 years of my teaching experience so special – the pupils, staff and parents of our outstanding community. 

I have already received numerous comments and good wishes from many folk, and it has been good to hear the positive comments about how the school has improved over the years. I am pleased and proud to have played a part in that, but at the end of the day, it has only happened through the way that we have all worked together. I am not going to single out individuals but there are some in each of the pupils, staff and parents categories who have gone way beyond the expectations in their contributions and have been key to the changes that we have enjoyed – you know who you are and I thank you for it – and to every one of you who has played a part over the years.

I came to Barrhead 10 years ago, not knowing very much about the town or school – my childhood memories were driving down the Dams Rd on my way to my Gran’s and loving that view.  Over the past 10 years I have made a point of coming that way every day  (roadworks and weather permitting) and I can honestly say as I look down on the town every morning it has lifted my spirits and I have come to work every day looking forward to the day ahead (apart from a few wobbles in Year 2!!). I don’t think you can ask for anything more from a job than loving to come into work!

… My writing was interrupted there by a number of staff, pupils and some Parent Council reps who came in to the school to wish me well and say a final farewell. The new Head Boy, Kyle, piped me along to the dining area where a whole group of staff and a few parents were waiting. I appreciate the number of people who braved the physical distancing guidelines to be present – I guess it was a dress rehearsal for the full return in August.  There cannot be many folk who have had so many great send-offs when they retire!! Once more it was a special and emotional time for me but once again a real testament to the quality of the Barrhead High  community. The leaving S6 turned out in force to see me out and that was especially nice since they are the ones who have lost out so much due to COVID.

I want to wish you all the best for the years ahead. I have no doubts that the school will continue to thrive moving forward from here and I wish Mrs Johnston all the best as she takes on the Head Teacher role from August – I am sure she will enjoy Barrhead High as much as I have.

My thanks to you all

Mr S