Barrhead High Remembers

The new facilities, with the bleacher seating in the Games Hall being used for the first time, allowed us to hold 2 remembrance services on Friday.

3 yeargroups joined together at each to  remember the men and women of Barrhead, in particular,  who gave their lives in the the wars of the last century.

In the week leading up to the event, pupils had engaged in a number of interdisciplinary actions including creative writing, art work and visits to the Cowan Park War Memorial.

On the day, our thinking was led by staff, pupils and our chaplain partner, Rev Jim Cowan, working together. Mr Maybury, with pupil help, had produced a moving video to focus our thoughts. Eilidh Weatherston and Holly Campbell once again led us into the minute’s silence, sounding out a powerful Last Post, and our singing group broke the silence with a moving rendition of the Christina Perri song, “1000 Years”.

I do not think anyone left the services unaffected by what they had seen, heard or ‘remembered’. The words of the ‘1000 Years’ song – “I will not let anything take away what’s standing in front of me” – were highly appropriate.