S2 Computing Science

Course Structure

Our S2 course is separated into four units: 

Unit Description Timescale 
Technology in our world This unit looks at the development of technology and its effect on this world. This includes climate change, carbon footprints, emerging technology and the effects of technology on our lives. Pupils finish the unit with a podcast project, creating a report on their chosen technology. August to October 
Bebras Challenge Pupils prepare for and attempt an online computational thinking challenge. Computational thinking skills are key to being a good problem solver and a good coder.  November 
Scratch games Pupils create their own games through a process of discovery and instruction. The games are shared across the class and reviews are written of teach game. November to March 
Website creation Pupils learn to create HTML web pages and create a website on something they are interested in using basic HTML coding March to May 

Technology in Our World

Starting point knowledge

Here are some introductory videos covering areas of this topic. 

Humans need not apply – Artificial Intelligence

Climate Change

How do Computers cause Pollution?

Trends in computers – cameras and storage

Emerging technology examples

The impact of technology on our lives

Activities that engage families to learn together

Calculate your family’s carbon footprint 

Use the online tool at https://footprint.wwf.org.uk/ to calculate your family’s carbon footprint. You can get ideas about offsetting carbon footprints from this website. 

An alternative calculator is available here:  http://www.carbonfootprint.com/ 

Generation game – compare your first computers 

Use the prompts below to compare experiences in each generation of your family – what can you find out? 

• When did I get my first mobile phone and what could it do? 
  • Do you know the number of megapixels available in your first and most recent phone? 
  • How did you find the address of a shop when you were young (before Google!)? 
  • How many TV channels did you have when growing up? 
  • Describe the computer games you played when you were young. 

Group discussion – impact of technology 

Set a timer for ten minutes. Discuss the question “How will technology impact our lives in ten years time?”. Use the prompts below to help: 

• Will we be driving our own cars? 
  • Will we use Virtual Reality more often? 
  • Will drones deliver our goods? 
  • Will we travel to other planets? 
  • Will we get improved abilities like sight/hearing/movement using technology? 

Tech swap session 

Arrange for different members of your family to find a bit of tech that the other hasn’t used! This might an old or hi tech device – like swapping a film-based camera and a drone, or a rotary telephone for a smartphone, or a floppy disk for a USB storage stick. 

Podcast practice 

Use one of the following online podcasting tools to practice making a podcast with a partner. Use the technique videos to learn more about ways to make your podcast sound exciting. 

Podcasting platforms: 

Tutorial videos: 

Tools to check understanding at home 

Self Assessment checklist 

Use this self-assessment checklist to think about how what you have learned. 

• I can describe what is meant by the greenhouse effect 
  • I can explain how computers can cause pollution 
  • I can list the activities that I do that use the most electricity 
  • I can describe ways of cutting my carbon footprint 
  • I can describe the trend in computing towards faster processors and more storage 
  • I can describe what a variety of new, emerging technologies can do 
  • I can explain the impact that a technology may have on my life and the lives of others 
  • I can describe how technologies will change the way I will work in the future 

Self-assess using flashcards 

Access flashcards here: https://www.cram.com/flashcards/technology-in-our-world-12856143 

Use the online flashcards or download to print out. You can also run the cards as a quiz or a game. 

Online quiz – check your understanding 

Use this quiz to check you understanding and follow up with your teacher where you are still unsure!