Home Learning 28.01.21

Good Morning everyone!! Hope your week is going well, you are all doing amazing.

Don’t forget our virtual classroom at 11am. Today we will be doing some number talks so bring your white board and pen with you. You will be aware that there are technical difficulties with Vscene. Please stick with us and hopefully it’ll be fixed soon.

Remember to contact me with any questions you may have at all. Just send me a little email and I’ll be happy to help.

The RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch 2021

The RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch will take place Friday 29th – Sunday 31st January 2021.

I thought it would be fun to make your own set of binoculars.

Click below for the instructions.

How to Make Binoculars

NUMERACY

Continue with your sum dog competition please.

TRIANGLES

FRACTIONS

Yesterday we were looking at tenths. I hope you managed to create your own flash cards. Please continue to explore with these, ordering them, matching them with their fractions. It will really help you to become more familiar with tenths.

Click on the link below with your task for today. Write the fraction of how many tenths have been shaded for each question.

labelling tenths

This is a really fun game to play to help you practise your tenths.

http://www.snappymaths.com/counting/fractions/interactive/tenthsint/tenthsint.htm

CIRCLES

Your first task today is to write down all the numbers that add together to make 10. Remember your switcher calculations!

Here is one to start you off 1 + 9 = 10

Today we are going to be looking at the strategy BRIDGING.

Bridging is a mental Maths technique of adding two numbers whose total is greater than 10. You count through to 10 then add the remainder as well. Click the powerpoint below for an explanation and calculations to try yourself. You have two tens frames in your pack that you can use today. Use your white board pen to draw in counters inside the squares or you could use your play dough to create little balls and squash them down as you count them.

Bridging powerpoint

It is called bridging as when you move the counters over – it is like you are building a bridge. Here is a few examples below.

8+5 = ?    We fill up the tens frame on the left so the calculation becomes 10 + 3 =

It is easier to add on from 10 than it is 8.

So if  10 + 3 = 13                         then so does 8 + 5 = 13

9+3 = ?    We fill up the tens frame on the left so the calculation becomes 10 + 2 =

It is easier to add on from 10 than it is 9.

So if  10 + 2 = 12                        then so does 9 + 3 = 12

6+7 = ?    We fill up the tens frame on the left so the calculation becomes 10 + 3 =

It is easier to add on from 10 than it is 6.

So if  10 + 3 = 13                        then so does 6 + 7 = 13

Now its your turn. Use your tens frames to solve these calculations using bridging.

8 + 3 =

5 + 9 =

6 + 6 =

4 + 7 =

8 + 7 =

9 + 5 =

5 + 6 =

9 + 4 =

5 + 8 =

7 + 6 =

WRITING

Persuasive writing

Persuasive writing is used to convince or persuade a reader that the writer’s opinion of a topic is correct. They want you to agree with their key message or point of view.

Did you manage to find out about any castles in Scotland? I have made a sway with a few popular castles.  Have a little look.

I have added a few facts about them and talked about some of their features. Choose your favourite castle or one of your own that you know about.

https://sway.office.com/lFEuEYXzIjPf3yI8?ref=Link

Tomorrow we are going to create a poster persuading  people to visit your chosen castle – like you are advertising your chosen castle.

Todays Task

Today you are going to plan what will be in your poster by creating a mind map.

Why would people want to visit your castle? What are the main attractions? What makes it better than the rest? Does it have lots of lovely features from our powerpoint yesterday? What is there to do when you visit?

I have created an example for my choosen castle. Have a look then complete yours in your jotter.

Dean Castle Mind Map

I have created a word wall to help you with any spelling – you can add to this as you go along. If you are struggling to spell a word have a look for the first sound and see if it is here. Happy Planning!

castle word wall

Have a great day! Mrs Webb 🙂