Home Learning 27.01.21

Good Morning boys and girls!! Mrs Deans and Mrs Webb here. We both hope you are all doing great. We are so delighted to be hearing from so many of you and love seeing all your hard work.

Don’t forget our virtual classroom at 11am. Today we will be doing a new word aware word as well as having a wee guessing game with the words we already know. The word is ‘fiction’ so have a think about what it means before our call. It was lovely to see so many of you yesterday! You will be aware that there are technical difficulties with Vscene. Please stick with us and hopefully it’ll be fixed soon.

Remember to contact us with any questions you may have. Just drop us a quick email. Take care and have a great day.

IDL

I hope you enjoyed your quiz on Scots language. Here are the answers below. Did you test anyone else in your family?

Scots language quiz answers

NUMERACY

A very well done to all that competed in the sumdog competition. I can see your results and see how hard you have been working so give yourself a huge pat on the back!! You have been rewarded with some coins ๐Ÿ™‚

It has been so exciting checking the leader board each day.

The scores are in, check below to see who is 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

3rd place – Jayden

2nd place – Callie

1st place – Harley

You have been rewarded some extra coins ๐Ÿ™‚

Well done!!

I know so many of you loved it so I’ve created another one for you. Have fun!!

TRIANGLES

FRACTIONS

Today we are going to start off with some quick warm up questions. We are finding halves and quarters of amounts and linking this with dividing by 2 and 4. Click below for your questions. Use your counters to help you or you can draw out the quantities and group them with circles.

division mental maths

We are going to be exploring tenths today. Click the power point below for a little introduction.

tenths power point

Follow up

Task

Below I have created flash cards just using pens and paper. I’d like you to create your own. If you do not have any spare paper then take some out of the back of your jotter. Starting with 0, 1/10, 2/10, 3/10, 4/10, 5/10, 6/10, 7/10, 8/10, 9/10, 10/10 or 1.

I also made tens frames – you can do this with the squares in your jotter and cut them out. Here is a copy of my tens frames if you are able to print them – Tens frames

Can you show tenths from 1/10 (1 tenth) all the way to 10/10 ( 10 tenths or 1 whole) by colouring them in? Then order them correctly from smallest to largest and largest to smallest.

Can you match the shapes with their fraction and order them? You can also play pairs with someone in your house. Pair up the fraction with the shape.

CIRCLES

ADDITION AND SUBTRACTION

This week week are going to be looking at adding and subtraction and looking at various strategies to help us solve calculations.

When we add we count on and the quantity gets higher. If we add on 1, it is one more than the number before.

When we subtract we count back and the quantity gets lower. If we take 1 away, it is one less than the number before.

Please complete theseย  calculations to show that you remember how to count on and count back, remembering to check the calculation for the + or – sign. You can use your 100 square to help you.

addition and subtraction mental maths

Next we are looking at adding by combining groups together and counting them all to find a total.ย  Click on your task below.

Counting to find a total

WRITING

This week are are going to be doing a little bit of persuasive writing about castles. We are so lucky to have lots of famous castles in Scotland. Have you ever been to any? Do you know of any?

Have a look through this powerpoint which shows us the main features of a castle.

Castle powerpoint

Have a think about what persuasive writing is – if you are trying to persuade someone to do something- what are you trying to do?

SPELLING AND DICTATION

Spelling and Dictation Sway

READING

We did some work on literal questions last week. I’d like everyone to have a bit more practise before moving on to our next skill. I would like you to answer the questions given but also to try and create your own questions.

Literal Questions

Mrs Webb and Mrs Deans ๐Ÿ™‚