Making Music

Have fun exploring different sounds, tempos, rhythms and volumes using resources you can find in your school or playground.

Learning Outcomes

I have the freedom to use my voice, musical instruments and music technology to discover and enjoy playing with sound and rhythm. EXA 0-17a

Inspired by a range of stimuli, and working on my own and/or with others, I can express and communicate my ideas, thoughts and feelings through musical activities. EXA 0-18a

Through play, I have explored a variety of ways of making
sounds. SCN 0-11a

ASN Milestones:

Demonstrates an awareness of others by taking a turn

Resources Needed:

Natural materials, musical instruments, toys, pots, pans, spoons

Lesson Activity

1. Collect a variety of different materials, these can be natural or man made, found indoors or outdoors.
  2. Explore the noises made by the objects and talk about them. Which ones are easy to make?  Which ones are difficult? Which noises do we like?  Which ones do we not like?
  3. Experiment with different objects and different materials. Does hitting things with different objects make a different sound?

Differentiation:

Start to create different rhythms and volumes using the different materials – can you hit things quickly, slowly, loudly, softly? Can someone be the conductor and tell others when to play and how to play?

Use symbols, drawings or pictures to create a written piece of music – what happens first, second, third in the piece?

Extension

Technology: Recording the piece of music and sounds created

Science: Exploring the senses using the different sounds e.g. closing your eyes and listening

Social Studies:  Exploring music from the past, or different parts of the world

Literacy: Listening to pieces of music created by others and sharing likes/ideas for improvement