Creating natural paints and dyes

This is a great, messy sensory activity which is fun and encourages exploring mark making, patterns and textures.

Learning Outcomes

As I play and learn, I enjoy exploring interesting materials for writing and different ways of recording my experiences and feelings, ideas and information. LIT 0-21b

Within real and imaginary situations, I share experiences and feelings, ideas and information in a way that communicates my messages. LIT 0-26a

I have the freedom to discover and choose ways to create images and objects using a variety of materials. EXA 0-02a

ASN Milestones

Demonstrates control of preferred tool for writing to create patterns and sequences that convey meaning

Uses fingers, hands and other media or tools to overwrite pre-written shapes and words

Produces marks/drawings that they can share as having a meaning

Resources needed:

Soil, cup or bowl, rock or spoon to mash with, paintbrushes, pencils, spices, natural materials, water, paper

Optional – toys e.g. dinosaurs, animals cars etc that could be used to make marks

Lesson Activity:

The instructions to make natural paints and dyes are included in the links below.  The activity can be done using just a bowl or a cup and a rock to mash.  It can be a nice sensory experience to add spices, berries, leaves, grass or food colouring to change your paint’s colours.

Once pupils have made their ‘paint’, they can use paintbrushes, toys, or other mark-making materials to create different pictures or marks on the paper, wall or ground.

Making Paint from Soil

How to make Natural Dyes

Differentiation

Prepare the paints and dyes before the lesson if necessary

Adapt the materials used to suit the needs of the learners

Extensions

Literacy/Numeracy – Link writing to in class learning – can pupils write their name/numbers/letters/spelling words

Art – Experiment with mixing different spices/food colouring together to see what the outcome is

Science – what happens when you mix other things into the paints…can pupils change the consistency?