Big Challenge #4 – Distancing Designs!

The Coronavirus pandemic has changed how we all live and how we will be carrying out our daily tasks in the months and weeks to come.

We have been amazed by the ingenuity of this young boy from Kenya who has designed a fantastic hand washing station to ensure that people don’t even need to touch taps, soap or hand sanitiser to make sure their hands are clean.

Watch this video to find out more:

Inspired by this…can you think of something that you could create that would make our lives easier or better even while we have to social distance.  This could be something that would be useful in school or out of school.

Could you design something to help make it easier to go shopping?  Or could you create a machine to help clean resources in the school quickly and hygienically?  Could you come up with an invention which makes it easier to stay apart but still play safely with your friends?  Or, like Stephen from Kenya could you design a machine that makes cleaning our hands easier?

You can draw your invention or…if you have the materials at home, you could try to build something!

Think about the Sustainable Development Goals when you are designing your invention:

How could you link your invention to one of these goals to help our planet and to make sure that your invention is environmentally and human friendly?  Could it be made from recycled materials? Does it run on solar power?

Suggested Es and Os for teachers

I can design and construct models and explain my solutions.  TCH 1-09a

I explore and discover engineering disciplines and can create solutions.  TCH 1-12a/2-12a

I can extend and enhance my design skills to solve problems and can construct models.  TCH 2-09a

Share your drawings or models here with us, or on Facebook or Twitter…we would love to see what you can come up with.

Back to Technology Activities