Dalrymple Primary School and ECC

Serving the community of Dalrymple

Head Teacher Update

Good morning,

I would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone of you a restful holiday next week.  As I look back over the last term it has certainly been a very different one from all other years that I can remember in education.  There is no doubt that it has been far from normal.  It has presented frustrations for each of us.  When I arrived at Dalrymple, we had no idea this is what education, or society at large, would look like. Your patience and forbearance, with the school community, has been deeply appreciated as we have sought to plot a path through the frequent updated guidelines and restrictions.

I would like to pay special gratitude to the members of the Dalrymple PS & ECC Parent Council who have been nothing but supportive over my time here and in the recent months.  This was done initially by Heather Scott, Chair of the parent council for the last 7 years.  I would like to thank Heather for her dedication and service to the school community over this period of time as she has sought to bring about the best opportunities for the pupils of Dalrymple – thank you Heather!

I would also like to thank our new Chair , Laura Dickie, who has taken over the office on behalf of the Parent Council.  In these uncertain times, it is commendable to take on such a role, with it’s responsibilities, to represent the Parent Forum and support the leadership of the school as we work together for the good of all our children and pupils.  I am already grateful for her support and advice as we have had to negotiate some unprecedented situations due to COVID already in her short tenure so far.

Likewise I would like to welcome Margaret MacDonald to the office of Parent Council Secretary, as she takes over from Mrs Armstrong.  She will work alongside Lynsi Alexander, Treasurer of Parent Council, to ensure the Parent Council runs effectively and responsibly in support of the pupils and parents/carers.  Thank you to them for their work past, present and future.  I would like to thank Mrs Armstrong for her years of supporting the Parent Council in this role.  Although she will now solely focus on the School Administration,  I know she is still only too keen to help out when required.

Also to the other current Parent Council members, old and new, who have already shown their commitment and compassion for the school community, I thank each of you.  I look forward to working with each of them as we seek to take on the next chapter of Dalrymple PS & ECC.  This is a strange time, but we shall continue to strive for excellence and what is best for each of our pupils.

As we break later today for a week’s holiday – however restricted that may be – please ensure each of you remain safe and that we once again focus on what is important – one another!  Following lockdown, I have been struck by how quickly so many of us have been keen to get back to normality.  We have forgotten about the lessons learned during lockdown when we vowed never to fall back into the same old routines and ruts which constrained us and did nothing for our wellbeing and relationships.     When we return on Tuesday 20th October let’s do our best to ensure we have spent our time wisely, reconnecting with the ones who matter, in an increasingly disconnected world.

I look forward to welcoming each of the pupils, back for a full term, as we seek to move forward.

Yours sincerely

Simon Leitch

Head Teacher