CUMNOCK ACADEMY MUSIC DEPARTMENT by Rebecca

Most schools have a music department. What makes Cumnock Academy’s different from others?

Mr Anderson, Brass Instructor

• What made you start playing an instrument and how old were you?

I started playing the organ/piano when I was around 6 or 7 years old. I had always sang and shown signs of being musical from a very early age so my parents encouraged it. My mum was a singer and my grandpa was also a singer. My dad played flute. At age 12 I was attending drama lessons at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama Junior School when I happened to hear the symphony orchestra. I loved the sound of the brass section and went straight to school on Monday morning and asked if I could learn one. Soon brass took over the piano.

• Is it important for children to play an instrument? Why?

Learning to play an instrument is extremely important for people of any age. It allows you to express feeling through music, to tell stories through music and to train your brain and personality. It’s an amazing way to learn patience, team work, dedication, commitment, punctuality, responsibility and may many more attributes. I could go on and on about it. It’s also proven to really help coordination skills as well as language and maths. Not to mention how it can help boost confidence and most importantly it’s FUN!

Rebecca S. S1