Representation of women in power

BBC PM trousers story

Newspaper headlines about rows within political parties are nothing new – but this one seems to have been sparked by a pair of leather trousers. Here’s how it all unfolded.

It’s just over a fortnight since Theresa May gave an “at home” interview to the Sunday Times, telling the paper about her childhood and explaining how Brexit keeps her awake at night. But it was her choice of trousers – which cost a reported £995 – that provoked most discussion.
“I don’t have leather trousers. I don’t think I’ve ever spent that much on anything apart from my wedding dress,” former Education Secretary Nicky Morgan told The Times, adding that the trousers had been “noticed and discussed” in Tory circles.

She added: “My barometer is always: ‘How am I going to explain this in Loughborough market?”‘

It was at this point that the story really took off, with another Conservative backbench MP, Nadine Dorries, taking Mrs Morgan to task.

“I think it shows Nicky Morgan’s comments were sexist, because she never criticised David Cameron’s extremely expensive suits,” she told the Daily Mail.

Mrs Morgan then found herself “disinvited” to a meeting at Downing Street to discuss Brexit, The Guardian reported.

Asked during a visit to Bahrain about the suggestion the price tag of the trousers made her “out of touch”, the PM spoke of “the importance of a country that works for everyone”, saying she had travelled around the country and “met people in a whole variety of circumstances”.

……..

‘Tedious’ and ‘impertinent’

Former chancellor Ken Clarke has not been impressed, telling the Sunday Politics it was “tedious” that stories about what women politicians were wearing featured in the newspapers.

“I feel sorry for women in politics,” he said. “I’m glad to say men in politics don’t have great news stories about what they are wearing.

“In my case, apart from my suede shoes, I’m probably very lucky because I’m not a very snappy dresser.

“Nicky and Theresa, I hope, will have some serious political discussions. If they want to have an argument about what they are wearing I think all their closest friends would advise them to keep that private.”