May 272017

A huge congratulations goes to the following pupils for representing the school at the East Ayrshire Athletics on Thursday 25th May:

Darrel Arthur, Kerr McCreath, Arran Willis, Darren McGuckin, Mason McMahon, Ben Dixon, Stephen McLelland, Adam Park, Bobbie Eccles, Lily Lound, Aletta Murphy, Brogan Jamieson, Rebecca Arthur, Stephanie Griffiths, Toni Abbott, Rebecca Meredith, Julie Smith and Rachel Auld.

We also had a number of top place finishers with:

Rebecca Arthur (discus), Brogan Jamieson (shot putt), Kerr McCreath (shot putt), Mason McMahon (1st triple jump), Ben Dixon (1st 800m),
Stephen McLelland (1st 1500m) and Adam Park (shot putt)

They all qualify to compete at the Pan Ayrshire Championships at Dam Park on the 6th June.

May 262017

On the 9th and 10th of May this year, all the primary 7 students from Bellsbank, Dalmellington and Patna primary schools, met together at Dumfries House for two days of fun STEM activities. This was part of the transition programme for the students moving in S1 next year.

Science

The students were involved in three science based workshops. Mr Gooding and Miss Napier sent the students on an ecology treasure hunt. Mrs Smith and Ms Hunter showed the students how to carry out a number of simple chemical reactions. Finally, Miss Moffat helped the students send secret messages using colour filters.

Design/Fashion/Textiles

Mrs McDonald worked with pupils to carry out two creative and practical tasks. Pupils were given basic models to make fashion illustrations using decoupage techniques. Pupils were then asked to create a ‘woven colour palette’ using wools and tapestry needles and a variety of stitches, including straight stitch and cross stitch. The colours matched their garment designs on their models.

Mathematics

Miss Rodger and Miss Dempsey created Doon Academy’s version of the Crystal Maze. The pupils were set a number of different challenges which earned them crystals. For every crystal the pupils collected, they were given 5 seconds extra for their final challenge.

Music

Mrs Williamson, Mr Paton and Mr Kelso led the music-based activities. The pupils were given crash courses in guitar, ukulele and singing, before reconvening at the end of perform a rousing rendition of “You Can Play Your Ukulele on the Bus”.

Thank you to Dumfries House for allowing us to use their fantastic facilities!

Apr 272017

Pupils had a fantastic afternoon yesterday exploring the I AM HERE exhibition at the Dick Institute in Kilmarnock. Pupils were given he opportunity to discover and learn about 98 pieces of studio jewellery by the most significant European makers from the last five decades. Starting with pieces from the most radical era of making in the 1970’s.

Apr 242017

The exams are upon us once again! All pupils in S4-6 have been granted study leave. You should have received a copy of this letter (click here to open) to tell you more about it.

Below is the timetable for rooms being used during Study Leave as the Study Room. If you would like to save a copy, you can do so by opening clicking here to open the document.

We wish all our pupils sitting exams the best of luck!

Mar 212017

Please come down and vote this Saturday for the senior girls’ netball team to get new dresses. They currently represent the school all over Ayrshire and are in desperate need for new kit! Anyone with a Dalmellington/Bellsbank/Waterside postcode and aged over 10 can vote so bring all the family down and help support the girls.

Mar 102017

Doon Academy was lucky enough to secure a Drama workshop with the lovely drama specialists – director Sarah Rose Graber and playwright Ros Boreland.

They joined us on the 1st and 8th of March to run some performance workshops to help build pupil confidence on the stage. The first session had lots of activities focusing on using the space.

The second session saw Ros bringing the pupils together to draw on their families experiences of the Mining Strikes in the 80’s. Some of their stories will be used in the upcoming Junior Leadership Academy showcase.

Mar 092017

Do you fancy improving your brain power, strategy and problem solving skills? This is what the kids who have been attending Chess Club have been doing recently. Mr Robertson’s new club has proved very popular and there have even been a few suggestions to take pupils to tournaments if we get good enough. Here’s some snapshots of the kids in action:

Mar 082017

Pupils enjoyed working with visiting Artist Peter Tudhope. They spend the whole day in Art and Design developing their own unique ideas and learning the lino cut technique. All pupils were extremely motivated and creative in their approach to brief.

‘It was extremely interesting learning how to use the lino cutting tools and how to make a print’

‘I am happy we got to do this as I have learned new techniques that I never knew before’

‘I have become a bit more confident in my Art’

‘I actually enjoyed today, even though I never thought I would’

‘I would say my Art isn’t the best but after spending the whole day in Art I have improved a little bit’