Mar 212017

Please come down and vote this Saturday for the senior girls’ netball team to get new dresses. They currently represent the school all over Ayrshire and are in desperate need for new kit! Anyone with a Dalmellington/Bellsbank/Waterside postcode and aged over 10 can vote so bring all the family down and help support the girls.

Mar 102017

Doon Academy was lucky enough to secure a Drama workshop with the lovely drama specialists – director Sarah Rose Graber and playwright Ros Boreland.

They joined us on the 1st and 8th of March to run some performance workshops to help build pupil confidence on the stage. The first session had lots of activities focusing on using the space.

The second session saw Ros bringing the pupils together to draw on their families experiences of the Mining Strikes in the 80’s. Some of their stories will be used in the upcoming Junior Leadership Academy showcase.

Mar 092017

Do you fancy improving your brain power, strategy and problem solving skills? This is what the kids who have been attending Chess Club have been doing recently. Mr Robertson’s new club has proved very popular and there have even been a few suggestions to take pupils to tournaments if we get good enough. Here’s some snapshots of the kids in action:

Mar 082017

Pupils enjoyed working with visiting Artist Peter Tudhope. They spend the whole day in Art and Design developing their own unique ideas and learning the lino cut technique. All pupils were extremely motivated and creative in their approach to brief.

‘It was extremely interesting learning how to use the lino cutting tools and how to make a print’

‘I am happy we got to do this as I have learned new techniques that I never knew before’

‘I have become a bit more confident in my Art’

‘I actually enjoyed today, even though I never thought I would’

‘I would say my Art isn’t the best but after spending the whole day in Art I have improved a little bit’

Mar 072017

You (pupils, family & staff) are invited to the exciting Doon Academy Sports Speakers Event taking place on Wednesday 8th March between 7.00pm and 8.30pm at Doon Academy.

The event will comprise of Sports Speakers from various backgrounds whom now have careers based in sports. They will talk about their pathways into sport, what they feel sport has done for them and what influence sport has had on the communities they lived in growing up.

This is a great opportunity for our young people and community to learn about careers and pathways based around sport. It is also an amazing chance for you and/or your child to listen to people at the peak of their career or sport talk about the opportunities they have been given. The Doon Valley would likewise benefit from hearing about the positive impact sport can have on the local community if people are willing to pull together and get behind an idea – especially a sports initiative!

Some of the speakers who will be attending are:

• Kilmarnock FC player and Development Officer
• Sports scholarship company – Route2pro Soccer
• Commonwealth Games Athletes
• Scottish Boxing International
• College Sports Head of Education
• Junior Football and Vibrant Communities Sports Team Manager
• Local Tennis Community Coach
• PGA Tour Professional Golfer
• Rangers Ladies Player
• Physical Education Teacher
• Young Ambassador and Sports Council Member
• Glasgow Warriors
• Police in Sport and Community

Refreshments will be provided on the night as well as the chance to chat to some of the speakers and hear more about their inspiring time in sport and ask any questions about how you or your child could involve yourself more in Sport in the community.

Mar 072017

On Wednesday 1st March PC Kennedy took a group of S1 boys to the No Knives Better Lives football tournament. The pupils making up our team were James McEwan, Dylan Johnstone, Nathan Downie, Lewis McCartney, Cody Ewing, Shae McCulloch, Darrel Arthur, Lee Bunyan, Gary Speirs & Lewis Sutherland. PC Kennedy said that the boys were a credit to the school. They won their first game 3-0 against James Hamilton then drew 0-0 with Loudoun Academy then were narrowly beaten 1-0 by St Josephs in the final. Please praise them up if you see them as they were fantastic!

Mar 022017

The senior girls netball team won their first game on the 1st March against Ayr Academy 15-13. They played extremely well and so a huge congratulations goes to Lori McLarty, Olivia McCutcheon, Rebecca Steele, Shannon McCrorie, Morgan McCrone, Macy Biggar, Chloe Hainey, Alison McCann &
Gabrielle Graham.

Jan 312017

3

Doon Academy welcomed representatives from the Princes Trust and Provost Todd to the school to see first-hand the great work some of our pupils are doing with RUTS (Rural Urban Training Scheme) in motorcycle maintenance and safety. Provost Todd, who is a keen motorcyclist, commented on how well Doon Academy does in providing varied courses to suit the needs of its young people.

7

6

5

1