The Start of a New School Year

Hello everyone!! Welcome back to Longhaugh Primary 1’s blog. It’s lovely to be back at school and this year in primary 1 we are welcoming 46 new children.

We have all settled in very well in our first week here at Longhhaugh Primary and we have already been working very hard.

We learned 3 new sounds in our first week. We learned ‘s’, ‘a’ and ‘t’. We also learn songs and actions to go along with our sounds, this makes our learning fun and it’s much easier to remember them too.

The action for ‘s’ is to move your hand as if it was a snake. The action for ‘a’ is to move your hand up and down your opposite arm as if ants are crawling up your arm and the action for ‘t’ is to move your head from side to side as if you are watching a tennis match.

We hope you will be practicing doing these actions when saying the sounds, because we will be practising.

We practised writing our sounds on our whiteboards and we made a ssssnake using tissue paper.

We looked at colours this week too and sorted coloured objects into coloured hoops. We also looked at colour words. These words were printed in their coloured ink and also in black ink. It was quite tricky to match up the words and put them into the correct hoop.

We also had a walk around our school to get to know the other adults and the important places we will be visiting e.g. the gym hall, the assembly hall and the dinner hall.

We also got our blue homework packets home this week. It has our daily planner in it. Our teacher writes all the things that our parents/carers need to know and if we have any homework it is also written in our planner. We need to bring our blue packets to school every day.

We all think we’re going to really enjoy being at Longhaugh Primary School! We hope you will enjoy following our learning. Please leave comments as we will be looking at the blog and we would love to hear from you.

Notices for parents:

Gym Please ensure that your child has a full gym kit in school.

Your child has been given a blue homework packet, please ensure your child brings this to school every day.

The Primary 1 school day ends at 12.15pm lunchtime for the first 3 weeks. They will be in a full school day, coming back in the afternoon and finishing at 3.15pm from Monday 3rd September 2012.

4 thoughts on “The Start of a New School Year”

1. Wow P1! You have been busy! I think your blog looks great and I look forward to reading more about all the exciting things you are doing and learning in school. 🙂

2. Well done for a wonderful first week at Longhaugh Primary School! I have really enjoyed coming into your classrooms and seeing all the fantastic work you have been doing. I’m looking forward to seeing you all on Monday. Have a great weekend!

3. Well done boys and girls, what a very busy start to Primary 1! I look forward to finding out about all the wonderful things happening this term.

4. Well done P1. A great blog. Sorry I haven’t been in your class much recently. Hopefully I will get in later this week. Keep working hard