Book Club – Reading – Hot – Week 1

Good morning everyone and welcome to Methlick’s Book Club!

I hope that you have enjoyed your first week of Health fortnight. Hopefully, you have all been reading for enjoyment, just like me!

I have been reading ‘The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and The Horse’ by Charlie Mackesy.

What have you been reading? Let us know in the comments!

Your questions to answer this week:

• Share the plot of your book – what has been happening? Remember to not give away any major information as to spoil the story for those who have not read your book
  • Discuss the main characters – who are they? What is your first impression of them? Describe their appearance and personality.

You will find my responses in the comments.

Please share your responses in the comments and let’s all talk about what we have been reading!

35 thoughts on “Book Club – Reading – Hot – Week 1”

1. 1. The Boy, The Fox, The Mole and The Horse is unlike any book that I have read before. It doesn’t really have a plot and no major events have occurred throughout the first half of the story. Instead, it looks at relationships, both with yourself and other people. We first find a boy, talking to a mole. The boy is lonely when he first meets the mole. They spend some time together and even though the boy is uncertain of the world, the mole reassures him.
    2. So far, I have met the boy, the mole and the fox. As I said in question 1, the boy is lonely. He worries that he isn’t special but he’s full of questions about the world he inhabits. The mole on the other hand has a bit more of a positive outlook. He loves cake and tells the boy that he should not worry about comparing himself to others. He said that the older moles had always wished that they had listened less to their fears and more to their dreams. The mole always carries that message with him. They also meet a fox who is caught in a snare. The fox has been treated badly by life and has spoken very little in the short time I have known him.

2. I have been reading Nancy Drew right now I’m on number 4. Nancy Drew is a detective, in each of the books she solves a different mystery,. The main characters are Nancy Drew, her dad Mr Drew and a person called hannah she is like a cleaner but she is also a mother type person for Nancy. My first impression of Nancy was that she was clever. Nancy is in her 20s I think and according to the book is very pretty. I recommend Nancy Drew to people who like books with a mystery to be solved.

1. Hi Emilee 🙂 Thank you so much for sharing! It is lovely to talk about what we have been reading. I love mysteries! Out of the four books you have read, do you have a favourite?

1. yeah, there is this girl called Bertha the bubbler and she pulled all of her hair out until she was balled!

3. The book that I’ve chosen is ‘Marianne Dreams’ by Catherine Storr. It was a favourite when I was growing up and I thought I’d revisit it as an adult to see if it was still as eerie and haunting as it was when I first read it. It’s the story of a young girl who is confined to bed for several months due to illness. One day she finds a pencil and begins to draw. At night, she dreams about her drawings and is transported into her own pictures. She is very lonely and bored, so decides to draw another person to keep her company in her dreams. The boy is named Mark. That’s as far as I’ve got at the moment.

1. Thank you for sharing, Ms Rees. I love the sound of your book, such an interesting plot. Can I borrow it sometime in the future?

1. Certainly! The book was originally published in 1958 and was made into a TV series and film in 1990. It’s an old novel, but a classic.

4. The book I have been reading is Attack of the Giant Robot Chickens by Alex McCall. It is set in Aberdeen and is about giant robot chickens invading the earth. All the adults have vanished and only children are left. They have to work together to protect Aberdeen and stop the chickens.
    The main characters are Jesse and the Ambassador (Rayna). Jesse and Rayna are part of the train station gang and they go on special missions to try and stop the attacks. They are both brave. Jesse tells chicken jokes when he’s scared and Rayna is more serious but they get on well

1. Absolutely fantastic responses, Fraser. Thank you for sharing such a detailed description of the plot. I hope that you’re enjoying the book and I look forward to hearing more about it, next week. On Monday, new activities will be posted for the Book Club. Great work 🙂

2. Fraser
      I am loving that your book is set in Aberdeen.
      One of my favourite writers, Stuart MacBride, sets most of his stories around Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire.
      I think I enjoy the books so much because I can identify the places he writes about.

5. 1. Outline the plot of the book.
    My book is called Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Old School. The plot is that Greg has to go “old school” and stay at a desolate farm. He meets a lot of people who are scared of Silas Scratch, who is a mythical farmer kicked off of his land. He went insane because of this and is said to haunt the farm. Greg tries to solve this mystery.

2. Who is the main character? What do they look like and what is their personality like?
    Greg likes adventure. He is lazy and likes to play pranks. He is a thin pre-teen boy with black hair.

1. Morning, Jamie. Thank you for sharing such a detailed description of the plot. I know that many of the pupils in my class love Diary of a Wimpy Kid – so hopefully they read your comment 🙂

6. I have been reading lots of books but right now I am reading Toms Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce. The main characters are Tom and a little girl called Hatty. Mummy said she read it when she was young an that she really liked it.

Tom finds a clock that takes him to the olden days when it is thirteen o’clock. Tom is invisible to everyone else in the garden except Hatty. I think Tom is a bit like me except he is a bit older. Hatty is younger than Tom but she said she is a princess.

7. This week i have been reading The Worlds Worst Children by David Walliams. Its has ten short stories about the top ten worst children in the world. Each of the children have something not nice about them. e.g Nigel Nit Boy who was a super villain with his head full of nits. Another was Peter Picker who wanted to make the worlds biggest bogey. My favourite is Nigel Nit Boy because I like super heroes and super villains stories. It was funny how he played tricks on people.

1. Hello Harry! Thank you so much for sharing. Did you see that there is another pupil in our class reading the exact same book? You have provided a very detail description of the story and I must say, it sounds hilarious! I will definitely have to give this book a read.

8. This week I have been reading Evie’s magic bracelet , the silver unicorn by Jessica Ennis Hill. It is about a girl who gets a magic bracelet from her grandma which gives her a power to hear and talk to animals. The girl is nice but shy as well. My favourite part is when the girl and her friends go on a sprite hunt.

9. Mr Reid, I saw your book being highly recommended by a famous actress and actor and then you brought it up and I thought: This is the book I want to read. So I bought the ‘The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and The Horse’ by Charlie Mackesy and it was the best decision I could have made.
    1. As you mentioned in your answer it doesn’t have a main plot. Also, it doesn’t have main events so I considered their experiences as events and in that case I think they are all important. The characters meet throughout the story and they go on different adventures together in which each brings up what they think and feel about their experiences. The beauty in this book is that their reflections make you reflect and focus on beautiful things and the positive side of life rather than being negative.
    2. The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and The Horse are the characters and they are all different physically and they have different perspective on how to face life and that has been marked by what they have lived in their own lives. It is great to see how they try to bring the most of out them no matter if their appearances say something different, what experiences they might have faced in the past or if they are big or small, they are all unique with many things to share.
    I would highly recommended.

10. I have been reading lord of the flies a book by William Golding I have read 6 chapters and so far it has been really exciting the story has won the Nobel Prize for Literature.
    The plot is of a group of schoolboys crash landing on a island with no adults in the day the swim and play and have meetings but at night their dreams are haunted by a horrible beast. As the days trail by the boys make huts and hunt but the two older boys jack and Ralph start to argue and are separated by hate.
    There are two main characters Ralph and jack. Ralph is a strong boy in his teens and has thick fair hair he wants to make shelter and stay safe and was made leader of the group.
    Jack is brown haired and wants to find meat on the island and as they find out that pigs live on the island he is made leader of the hunters.
    My first impression of Ralph was that he was a leader and very smart. My first impression of jack was he was grumpy and didn’t like it when he didn’t get his own way.
    I would recommend this book to over 11s because it is a bit dark.

1. Thank you for sharing such a detailed description of your book, Alex. I read this book when I was in academy and completed a book study in 5th year. I’m glad you’re enjoying such a classic!

11. My book is called Bad Dad by David Walliams. Some of the main characters include Gilbert (the dad),Frank(the son),Mr big,fingers,thumbs,sergeant scoff and many more. Some of my opinions of them are that Frank is an innocent young boy with a wild sense of adventure. I think Gilbert is a good man but can get himself into some big trouble. Fingers is quite simply tall and skinny(like his father)and on the other hand thumbs is the complete opposite being big,fat and short! (Like a thumb).Gilbert is short and plump with a little spike of hair and Frank also looks identical except a child with crazy rough hair!

All I can really say without spoiling it it that the dad was a racecar driver who’s wife split up with him and gets up to some mischief….

1. Thank you for sharing such a detailed response 🙂 There is another pupil in my class who is also reading the same book! New activities will be posted on the blog, this coming Monday.

12. My book called goosebumps-one day at horror land. The author is R.L.Stine.
    A family were driving to a theme park then they end up in a horror land.
    The main character’s are lizzy Morris,Luke Morris,mum,dad and Clay Luke’s friend.
    I think all of the characters are quite the same except Clay he seems quite worried.
    The Morris family all have black hair and blue eyes they are all slim and have fair skin except the dad has blonde hair and green eyes,is quite chubby and has a red face!