Magnetic Maze – Science Stem Activity

Good Morning Everyone

You might be thinking: How is Miss Maturana in Pitmedden Gardens related to our activity today? Well, as you can see in the title you will make a maze to play today and Pitmedden Garden has a beautiful maze that I loved running into! Luckily I didn’t get lost! The maze you will do today is a special maze because it will have magnetic force in it.Β  Go through the materials and steps to see what will happen.Β  Let’s see!

Questions

1. What do you think it is going to happen?
  2. What materials do you think will move with the magnet?
  3. Can you time how long it takes you to get to the end?
  4. 1p coin, a lego piece, a wooden stick and a paper clip.

Materials

1. Paper plate or thin cardboard piece (cereal box).
  2. Glue
  3. Magnet, you can use a fridge magnet or a toy that you might have at home that has magnet.
  4. Colour pencils/Markers

Steps

1. Take your cardboard piece and draw a maze or a path to follow inside the plate. Make sure you have a starting and finish point. It is your design so you choose, see ideas below.

2. Allocate the magnet under the plate and the other material on top of the carboard, same position. Now, move your magnet and see what happens.

Let’s Play! You can challenge each other or yourself with timing.

Fill in this chart on your learning journal so you can see which materials will be moved by the magnet and which won’t.

Science Behind

Magnets can stick to some metals, but not others. That is why only some of them moved. Magnetic materials include iron, nickel and metals that contain them. This includes some steels. Plastics and wood are not magnetic.

In 1992 the material of 1p coins changed from bronze non-magnetic to copper-plated steel which is magnetic. This was because it was too expensive to keep on making them. So the coins that don’t move means they are from before 1992!

Don’t forget to post a comment on how you did πŸ™‚

Ms Maturana

12 thoughts on “Magnetic Maze – Science Stem Activity”

1. Good afternoon Ms Maturana I am in the middle of doing your science experiment it looks really fun im cutting my cereal box at the moment!

1. Good Afternoon Megan, that is great to hear (read). I hope you have lots of fun! Let me know how it goes. πŸ™‚

1. Hi Ava, I am so happy to hear that! Well done for trying and experimenting. I hope you didn’t get lost in your maze! πŸ™‚

1. Henry that looks fantastic! What an great learning opportunity you had in there. Thank you to Dad for the interesting information and Mum for the good questions while showing your project. I loved that all the family was involved. Your sway looks amazing, well done for the hard work. Thank you for sharing it with us. πŸ™‚

1. Hi Dee, fantastic work! What a great idea to do it with bumble bees since you have been learning lots about it this week, that was very creative. I enjoyed lots watching your videos, thank you for sharing them! πŸ™‚ Thanks to Mum and Dad for helping.

2. We loved this experiment. We found that older 10p weren’t magnetic either as well as the 1p. It was good fun.

1. Fraser and Erin, I am so glad to hear you had fun by experimenting different materials with a magnet. That is a very interesting fact so well done for trying! πŸ™‚

3. The experiment went very well it was interesting what happened I used 2 magnets that looked like shiny pebbles, and drew my maze out of a cereal box!

1. Megan, that sounds so interesting. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and having a go with this experiment. Well done to you!