P5/6/7 – 1 April 2021

The last three weeks have been amazing to be back in school.  Both the pupils and staff have really enjoyed getting back to some kind of routine.  For me, it has been great to join the Luthermuir team and I have really enjoyed getting to know everyone.  I am looking forward to term 4.

Final Weeks of Term 3

Over the last three weeks, we have been finishing off our Victorians topic.  The children have been reflecting on the facts they learned throughout the term.  We have also been looking at Balmoral Castle and how it links to Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.  The children created mini fan books on Balmoral Castle, which have been shared on Marvellous Me.

In maths, we have been reflecting on our number activities.  We have also been looking at Chance and Uncertainty.  We have been categorising events using the phrases: certain, highly likely, likely, even chance, unlikely, highly unlikely and impossible.

In spelling, we have been exploring words associated with Easter and carrying out some literacy challenges with these words.

Next Term

Next term will be the final term for our Primary 7 pupils, which I am sure is very exciting but may also be a bit sad or nerve raking.  We hope to help them finish their Luthermuir journey in style.  With this in mind, the children have been sharing their ideas to help plan our next class project, which we will share with everyone after the holidays.

During next term, we will be undertaking a literacy unit based upon a surprise class novel.  I am keeping the novel a secret, but it is a great one!  The children will also undertake their normal reading groups activities, as well as, looking at some non-fiction texts connected to the class project.

We also have four main maths units that we will be focusing on.  Mrs Hutton will be focusing on two units.  The first being Data and Analysis.  The second will focus on Angles, Symmetry and Transformation.  I will be focusing on Measurement first before moving on to 2D and 3D shape properties.

The class will continue to have PE on a Monday afternoon and a Friday morning.  They will also continue to have Art with Ms Gatherum on a Tuesday.

Final Thoughts

As we end, and reflect upon, another ‘unique’ term, Mrs Hutton and I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone, again, for their hard work, dedication and efforts.  We hope you all have a lovely holiday and recharge your batteries, ready for term 4.

Take care and stay safe,

Mrs Lynn Fish

P5-7 Class Teacher