Clishmaclaver – Brechin High Library Blog

Literary bonds..?

Further to JG’s excellent Spectre post – 

For an old timer like me, what the Craig Bond films miss most is a decent spy story; relying too much on frankly absurd, soap opera, Sherlockian® conspiracy theory-type plots for my taste.

C’mon, Spectre even has BBC’s Moriarty as a bad guy for goodness sake!

It’s very clear – to me at least – that the newest films are not based on Ian Fleming novels. Not that Fleming’s plots aren’t far-fetched, of course, but they do at least make sense in the context of the spy genre’s fantasy violence; its 1950s ‘wish fulfillment’ characterisations, etc.

So, I’ve challenged JG to read a classic Fleming Bond caper and then post his thoughts on Clishmaclaver. Watch this space!

For younger readers it’s maybe worth reminding you of the excellent Young Bond series by Charlie Higson.

Also available as graphic novels!

And, hot off the press from www.ianfleming.com : A new Young Bond series by Steve Cole – author of Astrosaurs and Dr Who – is due to be published this Autumn!

The new series will pick up where Charlie Higson left off and will follow teenage James in the aftermath of his expulsion from Eton. This time in Bond’s life has never been explored before and readers can expect all the thrills, action, glamour and tension that are the essential ingredients of a classic Bond adventure.

– See more at: http://www.ianfleming.com/books/young-bond-books-2/#sthash.yhm4w9F8.dpuf