Administration and IT

BGE – ICT

Pupils in S1 and S2 at Campbeltown Grammar School will experience one period of ICT a week which gives them practical hands-on Computing experience working on the following skills and knowledge –

·         Understanding of modern day technological developments

·         Introduction to networks and integrated software packages

·         Applying and advancing skills in integrated software packages e.g. Microsoft Office

·         Problem solving using basic programming

·         Communication skills including using presentation software

·         Designing, building and evaluating computer programs including Scratch

Administration and IT

Pupils can study Administration and IT at National 4, National 5 and Higher level.  The Administration and IT Course involves:

Administrative Practices

·         Administration tasks in the workplace

·         Key workplace legislations

·         Customer service

·         Organising and supporting events

·         Advancing technologies to aid modern day working

IT Solutions for Administrators

·         Develops skills in IT, problem solving and organising and managing information.  Pupils will select the following IT applications to create and edit business documents —

·         Word Processing

·         Desk Top Publishing

·         Spreadsheets

·         Databases

·         Emerging technologies

Communication in Administration  

Using various ICT to gather, share and evaluate information including –

·         Multi-media presentations

·         E-diaries

·         E-mail systems

·         Internet

·         Emerging technologies

How will I be assessed?

All work is assessed within the department at Nat 4 level, leading towards Nat 5 level.

At National 5 there is a 3 hour practical assignment worth 58% of the final grade.  From 2018, there is also a final exam with both practical and theory elements worth 42%.

At Higher level, there is a 4 hour assignment worth 70% of the final grade.  There is also a written theory exam worth 30%.

What homework will I be expected to do?

The course is mainly practical and pupils are advised to practice their ICT skills whenever possible.  There will be regular written homework when working on the theory unit.  Homework will be issued through ShowMyHomework.

Possible careers after studying Administration and IT include:

Accounting

Administrators

Banking

Civil Service

Reception Work

Personal Assistant

Procurement

Office Management

Payroll Administration

Clerical Work

Event Management

Call Centre Operations

Quality Management

Local Government

Data Administration

Housing Administration

Health Service Administration

Customer Service

Human Resources

Court Administration

Travel and Tourism

Paralegal Services

The links below provide information from the SQA on Administration and IT including past papers and marking solutions.

SQA Subject Page for National 4 Admin and IT

SQA Subject Page for National 5 Admin and IT

SQA Subject Page for Higher Admin and IT

Pupil Information on studying Administration and IT 

I chose this subject as I have always had an interest in computers which I was able to explore by taking Administration & IT. By speaking to the teacher of this subject, my questions were able to be answered as well as receiving advice and support. To be able to take this subject, I showed my enthusiasm and interest in the subject itself. I had also just completed my first year of Business Management which allowed a connection between the two subjects. We mainly focused on computer work and organising the Campbeltown Highland Games during the year with a small amount of theory work every so often (only for Higher exam). There are different topics we cover: Time & Task Management (which I enjoyed the most), Effective Teams, Workplace Regulations, Impact of IT on the Workplace and Customer Care.

Admin helps you to learn more about the computer as well as working in an office environment. It also helps with independent learning.

Homework was a once a month thing as most work took place on the computer. Revision and studying was required. The teacher constantly checked our progress which helped when mistakes were made. There was an assessment at the end of the year where we followed a question booklet that gave us different tasks. Each task was related to some sort of event, for example, a wedding. This assessment counted for 100% of National 5 grade whereas it counted for 70% of Higher grade.

I’d recommend this subject to anyone interested in computers or working in an office environment as it broadens skills and increases knowledge.