Skills for Work
Studying an Argyll College Skills for Work course while still at school is a great way to add to add to your qualifications and kick start a career. You will be able to:
- Broaden your curriculum choices and enrich your educational experiences
- Get a flavour of college life, helping you make informed decisions about your future
- Improve your application to college or university by demonstrating a range of additional skills
- Benefit from CGS/Argyll College partnerships with business and employers to provide valuable work based learning experiences
- Boost your UCAS or college application
Many of the courses are practical and ‘hands on’. Often, you will be attending Argyll College at Hazelburn in the town, as well as trades workshops and a local farm, The Rhoinn, for the Rural Skills course.
The Skills for Work courses are offered as part of the option choices in this year’s school timetable. You can study Engineering, Children and Young People, Rural Skills, Beauty, Construction and Digital Media – all of which are key employment sectors in Scotland. You will be taught by college tutors with years of experience in their trade or profession.
A Foundation Apprenticeship is a new type of course that helps you get qualified through work based learning whilst on placement combined with theoretical learning at Argyll College. You can take it as one of your S5/6 subject choices and work towards a qualification over one or two years. It is the same qualification level as a Higher, but unlike your other subjects, your Foundation Apprenticeship takes you out of the classroom and gets you working on real projects with a real business. You spend time at Argyll College and get training with an employer.Foundation Apprenticeships
A Foundation Apprenticeship gives you the combination of a qualification and valuable work experience in some of Scotland’s most exciting industries, all with projected growth in jobs.
Who is it for?
Foundation Apprenticeships are for pupils making decisions about which subject they’ll study in S5 and S6. In general they are suited to pupils who:
- Are capable of working at SCQF Level 6 – the same level as a Higher
- Want to try an alternative way to learn, not just in the classroom
- Have an interest in developing greater awareness of a specific industry with an inspiration of pursuing a career in that area
What are the benefits?
Whether you want to go to university or college, complete an apprenticeship or go straight into work, a Foundation Apprenticeship can help – and the industry experience will make your application stand out.
A Foundation Apprenticeship is also a great stepping stone on to a Modern or Graduate level apprenticeship – speak to your Guidance teacher or Mr Wilson for further information.
And for senior pupils thinking of going straight into work a Foundation Apprenticeship works on the specific skills an employer is looking for in their industry plus more general ones like problem solving, communication and teamwork. You’ll also be able to show qualities employers are looking for, like good time keeping and a positive attitude.
Further information on all of our Argyll College courses can be found on the link below: