This week in P7/6

This week in P7/6 we have been learning all about similes and metaphors and making up some silly ones of our own!  We found that similes are far easier to make up than metaphors!  Miss Akram has been continuing with increasing our knowledge of paragraphs.  Next week we will be considering the main areas of a newspaper article – we will be writing our own front page of the Murrayfield Mail announcing Britain at War!

In numeracy we have moved onto multiplication – some of us are struggling to see the purpose of being able to explain our strategies and the need for learning standard algorithms.  With this in mind, Miss Preston has a challenge up her sleeve for next week where ‘I just work it out in my head’ will not be possible 😉 😉   Last week’s M/S/H challenge has shown that we need to increase the variety of mathematical language we use in class and that we need to practice worded math questions.  This will be a focus as we move forward.

We have moved onto our WWII topic.  We listened to Chamberlain announcing Britain at War and discussed how this made us feel, how it must have felt for the people at the time.  We have been discussing Allied and Axis countries – next week we will be working in groups to learn about the main leaders.  We will be learning some playground games that children in the late 1930s would be playing (weather permitting, this will be done outside).  The children, now equipped with their ID cards, will be introduced to an air raid …. but when …. and how will they react??

Inline with WLC 1+2 for languages, we will be increasing our Spanish within class – this was fully introduced this week and the children did fantastically well breaking down a few sentences I said orally; using both the context we were discussing and pulling on their existing knowledge of French & English sounding words!

We have completed the planning, sourcing of materials and building of our ISSs!  As part of our WWII topic we will build on this new knowledge of sketching, planning and sourcing materials as a homework challenge – the children have yet to decide on what area of WWII this will involve.  The models will be sent home with the children next week: Remember to ask them to describe and explain each of the parts of their ISS!

Our Rainforest in a Jar experiments have provided a variety of successes.  These will be sent home with the children next week after reporting our final observations on Wednesday.

P6 NEWS

We have your transition Basketball and Hockey event coming up very soon!  With this in mind, our class will join with Miss Moir’s class for PE – both indoor and outdoor PE sessions.

P7 NEWS

I was extremely impressed with the effort, investigative skills and overall maturity in which each and everyone of my P7s addressed the Transition Science Project!  I was so excited to see what they would produce and I was not disappointed.  You should all be so very proud of yourselves!  I hope you all remembered to thank your parents, family and friends for their help and support with this task!  Well done!  I have no doubt Bathgate Academy will be impressed too!

Next Week

Thursday  3rd March             Masterclass: World Book Week

Dates for your diary

Thursday 17th March             Parent/Carer Consultations

Friday 18th March                  WWII Assembly

Thursday 24th March            Easter Holiday begins

Monday 11th April                  Return to school

I hope you are all having a lovely weekend.  See you on Monday.

Miss Preston x