Once upon a time in Primary 4/3…

Learning Intention: We are learning to explore characters using evidence from the text.

Success Criteria:

I can recognise features of a traditional tale.

I can pick and choose the correct words to describe my character.

In P4/3, we have been learning how to best describe characters from the traditional taleĀ of Hansel and Gretel. We read through the tale and discussed the different features in our talking partners. We mentioned features such as the good and bad characters, the setting, problems faced, different objects and traditional phrases used. Working in pairs, we then looked at different adjectives to describe the specific characters in the tale and what words were the best words, the OK words and the worst words and placed them on a target board. Some of us then read some of our chosen adjectives for our character out to the class to see if anyone could guess who we were describing- it was fun!

“I enjoyed putting adjectives on a target board to describe the character of Hansel”- Kiera Brown.

Through the week we then followed this lesson by listening to the characters from the tale and talking about different words we could use instead of ‘said’ to describe how the characters were speaking e.g. “I’m always so hungry”, moaned the stepmother. Individually, we looked at different phrases and picked suitable verbs such as cried, laughed and whispered. Some of us then read out a phrase in a specific manner to see if the class could guess the character and how the character was speaking.

“It was really fun and interesting learning to use different words instead of said”- Cailin McKenna.

hansel and gretel