Fraction Fun in P7!

This week in Primary 7 we have been consolidating our learning about fraction from P6 and progressing on to new learning.

In number talks we have been looking at strategies to help us with division.

In mental maths we remembered how to find a fraction of a number, for example 1/6 of 24. We know that our multiplication and division facts help us quickly recall the answers to these questions.

I can create a set of equal fractions and can decide if fractions are equal.

• I can use my knowledge of table facts and multiples to decide if fractions are equal
• I can create a series of fractions which are equal using my knowledge of table facts and multiples

In today’s lesson at our stations we:

Sum Dog: We had to find a fraction of a shape, order fractions and calculate equivalent fractions. When we are Sum Dog we are trying to develop our accuracy so we always score between 80-100%, we know that accuracy is important because we want to get the correct answer as quick as possible. We have been learning how to eliminate answers that do not make sense.

Game: We used the new fraction resources to make equivalent fractions, for example 1/3 = 2/6

Teaching table: We used the textbook to explore how to calculate equivalent fractions when pictures and diagrams are not available. We also completed some problem solving activities.

How to help at home:

• Encourage me to play the Sum Dog fraction competition
  • Ensure I complete my fractions homework
  • Ask me the fraction of a number, for example what is 1/3 of 15.
  • Ask me my times tables and the related division facts.

2 thoughts on “Fraction Fun in P7!”