North, South, East and West our maths class is the best!

Learning Intention:

We are learning to explore how right angles can be measured in degrees and how this links to fractions and compass points (MTH 2-17c, MTH 2-17a)

Success Criteria:

• I know that a right angle is the same as a turn of 90°
  • I know that an angle of 180° is the same as a straight line
  • I know that a whole turn is the same as 360°
  • I can recognise angles which are 270°
  • I can relate 90°, 180°, 270° and 360° angles to quarter, half, three quarter and one whole turns
  • I can relate compass points to these angles and the appropriate fractions and turns (north, south, east and west)

This week in P7/6’s class maths, we started a new unit of work looking at different angles and linking this to our learning about fractions and compass points from last term. We started by creating a list of key words that link to directions and angles including: North, South, East, West, right, left, forwards, backwards, 90 degrees, clockwise, anticlockwise and diagonal. We all had to put our arms out in front of us and show a 90 degree turn, followed by 180 degrees, then 270 degrees then finally a 360 degree turn. We also looked at what these would look like when drawn on the board and realised that these turns were also linked to fractions, e.g. 90 degrees is a quarter turn. Next, we were given the challenge to direct Miss Sherlow to one of the chairs in the classroom using some of our new vocabulary, but Dylan made her go a bit too far and she bumped into it! We then had to try to direct Jack into the corridor but we overestimated how far he needed to move and Glen M accidentally  made him walk all the way into Mrs Gordon’s classroom. However, we learned from our mistakes and eventually managed to get each person where they needed to be. We used language like ’10 paces forward’ and ‘turn 180 degrees clockwise’ to help us.

We then split into groups and rotated around 3 activities:

1. Theme Park Directions activity
  2. Working with Miss Sherlow- completing HAM textbook pages 6 and 7.
  3. Sumdog

There was a lot of laughing in our classroom during our maths lesson this week, but we definitely all learned something new about angles, compass points, fractions and directions.

“I especially enjoyed Miss Sherlow walking into the chair and table. It was hilarious. I also learned that a 270 degree turn is the same as a 3 quarters turn,” commented Kieran.

“Jack walked into Mrs Gordon’s classroom and it was funny. It took us a while, but we got there in the end” said Dylan.

“It was fabulous learning about angles and directions,” added Max.