The Kirkhill Chatter

Kirkhill Nursery and Primary School, Rashierig, Broxburn, West Lothian, EH52 6AW

Riotous Royalty!

P4 have been enjoying their topic this term, Riotous Royalty!  We have learned about the role of a monarch and thought about what makes a good monarch.  We have enjoyed learning about different kings and queens in history and placed them on a timeline.  Our writing has been based around our topic and has included diary writing (as the princes in the Tower), using our senses to add description (describing a Tudor banquet), writing in different genres and describing a character (our own monarch).  We have also used slow writing to describe how Mary Queen of Scots may have felt in the Tower.  In music, we have listened to some of the tunes written by Henry VIII – do you know any of these?  Here are a few of our thoughts:

Kara – I liked painting the different monarchs which are on all our wall.  We have Edward I, Robert Bruce, Richard III, Henry VIII, Elizabeth I and Mary Queen of Scots.

Amber – I am enjoying learning all about the different kings and queens.

Leah – I like that we have a throne and crown in class and someone gets to be king or queen everyday!

Sharla – I like learning about the kings and queens who came first and second.

Robert – I liked learning about Roman numerals (I love Roman stuff!)

Grace – I like that we are making our own fact-files about different monarchs – yesterday I was doing our current queen, Elizabeth II.

Lucas – I like learning about the Tudor family because they killed loads of people!

Ryan – I like learning about Henry VIII and his six wives.

Nicole – I liked making our crown jewels.  We have them on display in the classroom.

Zach – I liked learning about Robert the Bruce and William Wallace because they were Scottish rebels and they never gave up!

Mason – I liked learning about Charles II because I loved the song on Horrible Histories.

In maths we have been focusing on our numeracy – learning our multiplication tables and working on our mental and written strategies for addition.  This week we will be moving onto time in maths – something that can be quite tricky!

We are looking forward to celebrating World Book Day on Thursday.  Remember that you can come to school dressed as your favourite character!  Some people have now handed in their home learning models – very impressive entries so far, P4!