The Kirkhill Chatter

Kirkhill Nursery and Primary School, Rashierig, Broxburn, West Lothian, EH52 6AW

What a lot of learning in P7!

This week in writing we have been focusing on up-leveling a piece of writing. We had to read a text and then use our writing skills to add V.C.O.P. to the text to make it better. Some of us found it tricky to edit text written by someone else.
This week everyone in the class delivered a presentation on an aspect of life during WW2. We tried our best to be confident, speak clearly and maintain eye contact with our audience. Some people put lots of effort into their presentations and we had a selection of powerpoints, posters, websites and YouTube videos to accompany these.

” I enjoyed the writing lesson.” – Oliver
” I liked reading rounds – it is fun.” -Amy
” I loved reading the Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.” – Abbie
” I like the suspense in Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.” – Callum

Maths
The Tetrahedrons this week have been consolidating their work from last week on equivalent fractions and have been simplifying their answers. We then moved on to adding, subtracting and multiplying fractions which we found easy once we knew how to do it. The Hexagons have impressed Mrs Weir this week with how quickly they have understood fractions and some of the group even challenged themselves to completing some of the tetrahedrons work. The Triangles have been adding and subtracting numbers mentally.

” I learned how to times a whole number by a fraction.” – Evie
” I found maths hard but once I got the hang of it I found it fun.” – Chloe
” I did some of the Tetrahedrons work.” – Kyle
” I now know and understand how to multiply fractions.” – Emily

Learning Across The Curriculum

This week we have finished our topic of World War 2. We learned about the D-Day landings and the atomic bombs which the U.S.A. dropped onto cities in Japan. We were all shocked at the impact which this had on the lives of so many people and had a great discussion about whether we thought the U.S.A. should have dropped the atomic bombs in the first place when it had not been tested. We are really sad that our learning about WW2 is now finished but we feel like experts on the subject and are confident at sharing our learning with others.

” I learned that there were two atomic bombs.” – Ewan
” I enjoyed learning the last part of our topic – it almost made me cry.” – Evie
” I enjoyed learning about the cities of Nagasaki and Hiroshima.” – Abbie
” I learned about atomic bombs.” – Lenny
” I learned that the U.S.A dropped two atomic bombs.” – Calum
” I am sad to be moving on to a new topic.” Kyle
” I learned more about atomic bombs.” – Jack

On Tuesday we were invited along to the dress rehearsal of the P4/5 show. We all thought they did really well and the songs were really catchy. Lots of us were proud of our little brothers and sisters.

” I liked the P4/5 show.” – Findlay
” I enjoyed topic this week.” -Ryan
” I was proud to watch my brother in the P4/5 show.” – Emma
” I liked helping out with the P4/5 show.” – Isobel
” I loved watching my sister in the show.” Leah Crow
” I enjoyed helping with the P4/5 show.” – Holly
” I really liked the P4/5 show.” – Shannan