Stirling Maths Conference

By Mr Dunlop

Have you ever had a lesson, or class, which leaves you feeling enthusiastic or motivated when you leave? (Shhh… you do not have to admit it to anyone, we both secretly know that you have) Well, this is what a good Continuing Professional Development course can do for a teacher!
I recently had the pleasure of attending the Mathematical Association’s Secondary Education Mathematics Conference in Stirling. This was my first experience of the Stirling Conference and, I must say, I left with a feeling of renewed vigour on improving and adapting my teaching practice.

The day began with the keynote address from Peter Ransom who shared with us some thoughts on the ever changing face of Maths education from throughout his decades of experience. Peter took us through the technological changes he has seen from the beginning of the 70’s through to the 2000’s and this showed just how much technology has changed in a relatively short period of time. We, as educators, really need to try and keep up!

This lead me nicely into the first of my 4 chosen workshops where I was given an insight into the possibilities that the iPad can bring to the Maths classroom by Nevil Hopley. Certainly an eye opening experience for, as much as I appreciate and try to include ICT in my lessons, I have struggled to visualize just how an iPad could enhance education. Everyday usage of the iPad in the classroom may still be a while away, but I left with some insight into how this could be developed as well as a desire to get in on the ground floor.

My second workshop was given by Monica Kirson and lead us through some ideas on how to go about using Curriculum for Excellence to help make lessons more active and co-operative. An interesting experience, I have taken away some ideas which will be used and adapted to hopefully make the learning experience a little more active.

After lunch (which was awesome, by the way) my third lesson was in Developing Thinking Skills in Mathematics and was presented by the interesting and engaging Jim Reid. Jim quickly made us aware that some of our questioning techniques and plans do not allow our students to develop the kind of thinking skills which will be immensely useful in future Maths courses and life endeavours. My 4th years can certainly look forward to some changes in questions which may require them to actually use their brains and even discuss their thoughts (Shock! Horror!)

Final workshop of the day was definitely the most fun. Rachael Horsman took us through her Whistle Stop Tour of More Engaging Lesson Ideas. Judging by the audience, Rachael is a regular at the Conference and I can see why teachers were keen to participate. Rachael introduced us to some lessons and ideas, both big and small, which may help to enthuse even those who are the most  resistant to the joys of Mathematics. Again, ideas have been taken away and will be adapted to my own teaching practice. Rachael even convinced me to purchase her book!

Overall, a fantastic experience which gave me the aforementioned enthusiasm and motivation to continue developing my teaching practice. All with the eventual aim of generating in our students that spark of interest, that crumb of curiosity or even just the desire to want to come to my class and learn something!

2 thoughts on “Stirling Maths Conference”

1. A very thought-provoking read. It was interesting to read how you felt your teaching practice was influenced by the conference. It made me question my own practice to assess how I could change my questioning techniques, for example, to make my lessons more engaging for pupils. I also like the bits of humour added in!

2. I’m really pleased you enjoyed the conference. Coming to Stirling is one of my highlights of the year. Meeting teachers at events like these is part of what makes my job so fun! It’s also great professional development for me as I gain as many ideas if not more each year I attend!