Happy Holidays!

Good morning boys and girls,

I just wanted to post a message to you all to say thank you for all of your hard work and effort both in class and at home this year. I’m so proud of each and every one of you! You really have been an absolute pleasure to teach! Thank you also for all of your messages and examples of work you sent in whilst at home – it really cheered me up seeing what you were doing! 🙂

Please thank all of your grown-ups at home too for their patience and help these last few months (if they aren’t reading this with you). We have all had a very challenging and unusual time. I hope you all have a lovely summer holiday and I will be thinking of you all having fun in the sun 🌞 (hopefully)!

Take care boys and girls,  

Lots of love,

Mrs Lindsay 💓 

Home Learning for Week beginning 22nd June

Good morning and welcome to Home Learning Week 12, and the last week of term. I can’t believe it is that time of year already!

Since it is the last week of term , I have listed a few fun activities which can be undertaken. Everyone is in a different situation so please do whatever you can with your child and don’t worry about completing them.

Below are links to activities which can be printed out or completed on paper.

Summer Activity Booklet

Summer Symmetry Activity

Design your own Sun Hat Worksheets

Summer Holiday Crossword

Summer Wordsearch

Ice Lolly Recipes

Summer Mindfulness Colouring Sheets

Please tell the children I have been such a lucky teacher this year to have worked with such hard working and well-mannered children! I will miss them! Thank you for your support during the year also. I hope you all have a super, yet safe, holiday and have the opportunity to have lots of fun as a family.

Mrs Lindsay

Check-in (18th June)

See the source image

Good morning, everyone!

I hope you are all well and enjoying Burnside’s Got Talent and Sports Week. I have loved hearing how the boys and girls have been getting on. Please tell them I am missing them! Here is this week’s check-in. Please help your child to add a comment to this post by Friday. They can just say hello and tell me how they are or they can tell me what they have been doing. They can even tell me about their unique talent or how they got on with the activities they participated in for Sports Week.

Stay safe,

Mrs Lindsay

Home Learning for Week beginning 15th June

Good morning and welcome to Home Learning Week 11. I hope you are all safe and well.

I have listed tasks which can be undertaken during the week and can be carried out in any order. Everyone is in a different situation so please do whatever you can with your child and don’t worry about completing them all.

Spelling

Below are the phonemes/phoneme words/common words for each group. First have a chat about the spelling rule for the phoneme words and check your child knows the meaning of each word. Then try to practise them every day using a multi-sensory activity.  Multi-sensory ideas could include: making the words using playdough, painting the words, writing the words in a sand tray or on a whiteboard/chalkboard, as well as, typing the words on a computer then changing the font/size, writing them using fancy letters or with eyes shut. The words could even be written using the hand not normally used for writing. You could even try tracing the words on your child’s back with your finger and asking them to guess which word you have “written”.  Can you and your child think of any new multi-sensory activities to try? You could give your child a spelling quiz, either oral or written, at the end of the week to see how many words they can remember.

Reds

“ve” phoneme – have, give, live, leave, believe, retrieve, starve, relieve                         Common Words – own, small, something

Yellows

Same as the Red Group.  In addition, ask your child if they can think of any other words which have the “ve” phoneme. Please check that the words are spelled correctly and ask them to practise these words as well.

Greens

“y” phoneme – fly, shy, cry, sky, why, dry, myself                                                                      Common Words – bring, two, Mr.

Blues

All the letters of the alphabet. Please try to practise saying them correctly and writing them using correct formation.                                                                                                                              Common Words – can, we, into

CHALLENGE ACTIVITY – Ask your child to write a sentence for each word. Please remind them to use V.C.O.P. (Vocabulary, Connectives, Openers, Punctuation).

Reading

Please find the text below for your child’s group.

Strawberries

Please ask your child to read “Hello, Earthling” and complete the follow-up work in their Home Learning jotter or on paper.

Grapes

Please ask your child to use the map of “Baxendale Village” to complete the follow-up work in their Home Learning jotter or on paper.

Pineapples

Please ask your child to use the pictures below to help them write out the instructions of “How to make a mask” in the correct order. This work can be completed in their Home Learning jotter or on paper.

Apples

Please try to practise all words in the booklet pictured below, using multi-sensory activities, such as, painting the words, making them using playdough or even “back writing”.

Also, please complete pages 9 – 12 of the booklet pictured below (one page per day).

Grammar and Punctuation

Please find the tasks below for your child’s group.

Strawberries

Please ask your child to complete this work in their Home Learning jotter or on paper.

Grapes and Pineapples

Below is a link to a worksheet with a picture of a swimming pool scene at the top. Please ask your child to look at the picture carefully and discuss with them what different things are happening. Then ask them to write a sentence for each thing. Ask your child to write as many sentences as they can. Please remind them to use capital letters and full stops in their work, as well as, use their knowledge of phonics to spell unfamiliar words. The worksheet can be printed out and sentences written on the sheet or in their Home Learning jotter/paper.

Swimming Pool Worksheet

Handwriting

Please complete the page indicated below for your child’s group.

Strawberries

Grapes and Pineapples

Apples

Please find below this term’s Learn Its/Counting activities and tasks for your child’s group. Worksheets can be printed out, completed orally, in the Home Learning jotter or on paper.

Circles

Sorting Halves and Quarters Worksheet

Stained Glass Windows Worksheets

Halves and Quarters Worksheets

Squares

Halving Worksheet

Is it…? Worksheet 1

If possible, please print out the sheets below (using the link What is a Quarter? Activity) and use it to explain to your child when we cut an object into quarters, we cut it into four equal parts. Each piece is a quarter.

What is a Quarter? Activity

Is it…? Worksheet 2

Triangles

Please continue to count forwards to 20, as well as, counting backwards with your child. Try to count different objects around the house e.g. spoons, crayons. Continue to discuss numbers after/1 more, before/1 less and between, e.g. What number is 1 more than 19?, What number comes before 17?  What number comes between 13 and 15? Also, continue to discuss numbers 2 more/2 less, e.g. What number is 2 more than 11? What number is 2 less than 14?

Matching Worksheet

I Spy Counting Worksheet

I Spy Answer Sheet

Missing Numbers Worksheet

1 More/2 More Worksheet

Other Activities

It is Father’s Day on Sunday 21st June. Below are some links to activities which your child might like to do.

Father’s Day Card

Father’s Day Certificates

Father’s Day Trophy

Father’s Day Vouchers

Drawing and Colouring Sheet for Dad

A Book About My Dad

This week is Burnside’s Got Talent Week! If your child would like to participate, take a picture or record a video of their talent (people have chosen to sing, dance, play an instrument, tell a joke or perform gymnastics, football skills and magic tricks in previous years) and tweet the photo or video of their performance on Twitter this week. Tweet @burnsideprim and we will retweet. There will also be a special certificate on the app for you to download for everyone taking part. I can’t wait to see what the children come up with!

It is also Sports Week. Two new activities will be posted every day on the Burnside School App at 9am (there is an overview of these below) and you can email pictures of your child’s efforts to gw18burnsidephotos@glow.sch.uk and/or tweet their pictures/videos to @burnsideprim and @ActiveSchoolsSL, including the hashtag #BurnsideForGold

Sports Week Activities Overview

Remember you can also share any good pieces of work by emailing them to gw18burnsidephotos@glow.sch.uk

I have loved seeing all the photographs of the great jobs that have already been sent in. I have included some of these in the “WOW Work” tab at the top. Please remember our blog is public so I can’t use any photos that have children in them. Names will not be matched with photos. Mrs McGarvey is able to use photographs of the children on Twitter. This week, I have seen a video of a boy carrying out a Science experiment where he made Non-Newtonian liquid, as well as, pictures of another boy looking very proud of the rainbow tank and the mini allotment he made which were sent in.

I will post our “Check-in Station” on Thursday so all the boys and girls can let me know how they are doing. It would be great if everyone could leave a comment. Please tell the children I am missing them all and I am so proud of them for trying hard with their home learning.

I hope you all have a super week and keep safe everyone!

Mrs Lindsay

Check-in (11th June)

See the source image

Good morning, everyone!

I hope you are all well. I have loved hearing how the boys and girls have been getting on. Please tell them I am missing them!

Here is this week’s check-in. Please help your child to add a comment to this post by Friday. They can just say hello and tell me how they are or they can tell me what they have been doing.

Stay safe,

Mrs Lindsay

Home Learning for Week beginning 8th June

Good morning and welcome to Home Learning Week 10. I hope you are all safe and well.

Spelling

Below are the phonemes/phoneme words/common words for each group. First have a chat about the spelling rule for the phoneme words and check your child knows the meaning of each word. Then try to practise them every day using a multi-sensory activity.  Multi-sensory ideas could include: making the words using playdough, painting the words, writing the words in a sand tray or on a whiteboard/chalkboard, as well as, writing the words on a computer then changing the font/size, writing the words using fancy letters or with eyes shut.  The words could even be written using the hand not normally used for writing.  Can you and your child think of any new multi-sensory activities to try? You could give your child a spelling quiz, either oral or written, at the end of the week to see how many words they can remember.

Reds

“ie” phoneme – tried, cried, fried, died, dried, supplied, replied, lied, lie, denied, tie              Common Words – tell, large, spell, still, saw

Yellows

Same as the Red Group.  In addition, ask your child if they can think of any other words which have the “ie” phoneme. Please check that the words are spelled correctly and ask them to practise these words as well.

Greens

“igh” phoneme – high, right, thigh, bright, might, light, right                                                                Common Words – who, after, hand

Blues

All the letters of the alphabet. Please try to practise saying them correctly and writing them using correct formation.                                                                                                                              Common Words – did, as, he

Reading

Strawberries

Please ask your child to read “Here, Boy!” and complete the follow-up work in their Home Learning jotter.

Grapes

Please ask your child to read “A Letter from Sarah” and complete the follow-up work in their Home Learning jotter.

Pineapples

Please ask your child to read the “Gingerbread Man” and complete the follow-up work in their Home Learning jotter.

Apples

Please complete pages 5 – 8 of the booklet pictured below (one page per day). Words could also be practised using paint, pasta or playdough etc.

Also, please complete pages 5 – 8 of the booklet pictured below (one page per day).

Grammar and Punctuation

Strawberries

Please ask your child to complete this work in their Home Learning jotter.

Grapes and Pineapples

Please click on the link below to find a worksheet with a picture of a summer garden at the top. Ask your child to look at the picture carefully and discuss with them what different things are happening. Then ask them to write a sentence for each thing. Ask your child to write as many sentences as they can. Please remind them to use capital letters and full stops in their work, as well as, use their knowledge of phonics to spell unfamiliar words. The worksheet can be printed out and sentences written on the sheet or in their Home Learning jotter

t-t-252809-summer-garden-writing-stimulus-picture

Handwriting

Strawberries

Grapes and Pineapples

Apples

Please find below this term’s Learn Its/Counting activities and tasks for your child’s group. Textbook/workbook pages can be completed orally, on paper or in the Home Learning jotter. Worksheets can be printed out, completed orally or in the Home Learning jotter.

Circles

Below is a link to the Toy Shop Money Game which I’m sure your child will enjoy playing and allows them to practise laying out money (up to £5) and giving change (from up to £1):

https://www.topmarks.co.uk/money/toy-shop-money

Using money you have at home, discuss with your child coin equivalents for 20p, 50p and £1, e.g. What two coins could you use to make 20p?, What three coins could you use to make 50p?, What five coins could you use to make £1?

Squares

Counting Coins Worksheets

Making Amounts to 20p Worksheets

Using the link below, print out the pieces of fruit with prices attached, cut them out (if you are unable to print out these sheets, just find items from around the house and stick on prices similar to the ones shown) and use these with coins you have at home to play “shops”. This allows your child to practise adding items together, paying for them and giving change from 20p.

Priced Pieces of Fruit

Below is a link to the Toy Shop Money Game which I’m sure your child will enjoy playing and allows them to practise laying out money (to 20p) and giving change (from 20p):

Triangles

Please continue to count forwards to 20, as well as, counting backwards with your child. Try to count different objects around the house e.g. spoons, crayons. Continue to discuss numbers after/1 more, before/1 less and between, e.g. What number is 1 more than 11?, What number comes before 14?  What number comes between 18 and 20? Also, continue to discuss numbers 2 more/2 less, e.g. What number is 2 more than 15? What number is 2 less than 20?

I Spy Counting Worksheet

I Spy Answer Sheet

If possible, please locate 10 x 1p coins. Lay out different amounts up to 10p, e.g. Lay out 7 x 1p coins and ask your child to count the coins and find out how much money you have laid out.

If possible, please locate 10 x 1p, 5 x 2p, 2 x 5p and 1 x 10p coins. Begin to use different coin combinations to make amounts up to 10p, e.g. lay out 5 x 1p coins and ask your child what other coin could be used to show that amount.

Below is a link to the Toy Shop Money Game which I’m sure your child will enjoy playing and allows them to practise laying out money to 10p:

Other Activities

It is World Ocean Day on Monday 8th June. Below are a few links to activities related to this that you could undertake with your child. Books or the internet may be needed to complete some of them.

The Five Oceans Labelling Map Activity Sheet

Oceans and Continents Cut and Stick Activity

My Oceans Mini Book

World Oceans Day Word Search

World Oceans Day Colouring In Sheet

https://worldoceanday.school/

I hope you and your child enjoyed the visit to the Superhero Academy last week. I know I did! There should be another virtual trip this week. Please keep checking the school app for details.

Remember you can share any good pieces of work by emailing them to gw18burnsidephotos@glow.sch.uk

I have loved seeing all the photographs of the great jobs that have already been emailed in. I have included some of these in the “WOW Work” tab at the top. Please remember our blog is public so I can’t use any photos that have children in them. Names will not be matched with photos. Mrs McGarvey is able to use photographs of the children on Twitter. This week, I have seen pictures of “old” Burnside and a girl completing her work on commas which have been sent in.

Mrs Lindsay

Check-in/Burnside’s Got Talent Update

See the source image

Good morning, everyone!

Also, Mrs McGarvey has confirmed the details for this year’s Burnside’s Got Talent! If your child is interested in participating record a video or take a picture of their talent (people have chosen to sing, dance, play an instrument, tell a joke or perform gymnastics, football skills and magic tricks in previous years) and tweet the video or photo of their performance on Twitter between 15th and 19th June. Tweet @burnsideprim and we will retweet. There will also be a special certificate on the app/Twitter for you to download as a thank you for your child’s participation. I can’t wait to see what they come up with!Have fun and stay safe,

Mrs Lindsay

Home Learning for Week beginning 1st June

Good morning and welcome to Home Learning Week 9. I hope you are all safe and well, and have been outside enjoying the lovely weather.

Spelling

Reds

Consolidation Week – Please practise the phoneme and common words from the last five weeks (see “Spelling – Reds” tab at the top).

Yellows

Same as the Red Group.  In addition, ask your child if they can think of any other words which have the phonemes that they are revising this week. Please check that the words are spelled correctly and ask them to practise these words as well.

Greens

Consolidation Week – Please practise the phoneme and common words from the last two weeks (see “Spelling – Greens” tab at the top).

Blues

All the letters of the alphabet. Please try to practise saying them correctly and writing them using correct formation.                                                                                                                              Common Words – am, me, my

Reading

Strawberries

Please ask your child to copy this passage into their Home Learning jotter and fill in the missing words then answer the questions.

Grapes

Please ask your child to read “A Very Busy Day” and complete the follow-up work in their Home Learning jotter.

Pineapples

Please ask your child to read “Looking After Your Bike” and complete the follow-up work in their Home Learning jotter.

Apples

Please complete pages 1 – 4 of the booklet pictured below (one page per day). Words could also be practised using paint, pasta or playdough etc. This booklet was given out in the Home Learning packs.

Also, please complete pages 1 – 4 of the booklet pictured below (one page per day). This booklet was given out in the Home Learning packs as well.

Grammar and Punctuation

Strawberries

Grapes and Pineapples

Please click on the link below to find different flashcards with incorrect sentences on them. Ask your child to write out the sentence correctly in their Home Learning jotter, fixing the errors involving capital letters and full stops. As a challenge, there is one sentence that requires a question mark at the end, can they spot it?

Correct the Capital Letters and Full Stops

Handwriting

Strawberries

Grapes and Pineapples

Apples

Circles

Recognising Money Worksheets

Counting Money Worksheets

Any additional practice that you could do with your child on recognising money, adding up pocket money or asking them to help work out which coins could be used to pay for an item, as well as, any change that they would receive would also be beneficial.

Squares

Recognising Coins Worksheet

Ordering Coins Worksheet

Counting Coins Worksheets

Giving Change Worksheets

Any additional practice that you could do with your child on recognising coins, adding up pocket money or asking them to help work out which coins could be used to pay for an item, as well as, any change that they would receive would also be beneficial.

Triangles

Please continue to count forwards to 20, as well as, counting backwards with your child. Try to count different objects around the house e.g. spoons, crayons. Continue to discuss numbers after/1 more, before/1 less and between, e.g. What number is 1 more than 10?, What number comes before 20?  What number comes between 12 and 14? Also, continue to discuss numbers 2 more/2 less, e.g. What number is 2 more than 16? What number is 2 less than 19?

I Spy Counting Worksheet

I Spy Answer Sheet

One More/One Less Worksheet

Please look at and discuss coins you have at home, and ask your child to identify 1p, 2p, 5p,10p, 20p, 50p, £1, £2.

Ask your child to sequence coins in terms of value by looking at the number on the coin.

Other Activities

Below are links to some fun STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) activities that could be undertaken.

Ice Escape
Ice Escape Investigation Activity
Ice Escape Investigation Prompt Card

Paper Towel Rainbow
Paper Towel Colour Mixing Activity

Growing Plants
Plants From Your Kitchen

STEM Challenges
STEM Challenges

Mrs McGarvey will confirm details for Burnside’s Got Talent this week and let everyone know all the information on the school app. I will also post these details on our blog.

I hope you and your child enjoyed the visit to Under the Sea last week. I know I did! There should be another virtual trip this week. Please keep checking the school app for details.

I have loved seeing all the photographs of the great jobs that have  already been emailed in. I have included some of these in the “WOW Work” tab at the top. Please remember our blog is public so I can’t use any photos that have children in them. Names will not be matched with photos. Mrs McGarvey is able to use photographs of the children on Twitter.

Mrs Lindsay

Check-in

See the source image

Good morning, everyone!

Stay safe,

Mrs Lindsay

Burnside’s Got Talent

Usually around  this time, we are preparing auditions for the event of the year “Burnside’s Got Talent”! As the children won’t be able to share their talents on stage this year, we are thinking about bringing the stage to them!

At the moment, all the teachers are just planning it but we are thinking about asking parents to email in a video (no longer than 20 seconds with no audio as a song will be played over the clips) of their child showcasing their talent! They will then be collated together and shared on Twitter at the end of term.

Please don’t send in any videos yet, just discuss this with your child to see if this is something they would like to participate in. Once details have been finalised, I’ll let you know more information.

Stay, safe,

Mrs Lindsay